Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nnlogistics_gw

Timber tech XLM

nnlogistics
16 years ago

I have been making a decision on decking forever and was leaning towards Timber Tech. I went to a supplier yesterday and saw a sample of Timber Tech XLM. Is this a new product. Does it have any adavantages over the original. I seems much lighter and slightly thinner than the original. I also seems to be more 'Plastic'. Does anyone know or have an opinion on XLM.

Thanks

Joe

Comments (15)

• tgates
    16 years ago

I was told it is a new all PVC type product, similar to AZEK. We are going with AZEK since its about $10 cheaper per board, although I do like some of the TT colors that are available.

• nnlogistics
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It doesnt appear that AZEK has a groved product. Is that true? Can't use hidden fasteners??????????????

• tgates
    16 years ago

No pre grooved product like TT but Azek literature mentions tiger claw fasteners for the hidden look. You just have to cut your own grooves, which might possibly justify the extra expense

• builtbymac
    16 years ago

XLM is an all plastic board - different from TimberTech's previous boards which are a blend of plastic and wood flour. Advantages over the original are:
    less susceptible to mold, stains and noticeable scratchs.

My opinion? If you're looking for a composite decking product, I would recommend the TimberTech XLM, AZEK and CorrectDeck CX boards. All three of them are all-plastic boards and will last longer looking nice with less maintenance than other composite boards.

I just finished up an XLM deck w/ RadianceRail handrail and like the product. Yes, it looks more plastic than the TwinFinish boards but neither of them will be mistaken for real wood.

Mac

• rockrisley
    16 years ago

Hi builtbymac,
    Do you have any photos of the XLM deck w/ RadianceRail that you recently completed? I would love to show it to my husband. I am trying to convince him to go with this rather than the TimberTech earthwood.

• builtbymac
    16 years ago

Here's a couple...

XLM Sandridge w/ Black Radiance Rail

and a small access deck made with XLM Cedar and Black Radiance Rail

Hope this helps - it's a nice product built by a solid company.

Water puddles on it because it's an impervious surface...water doesn't seep into the boards. When the sun hits it, the water evaporates fairly quickly (although that's an entirely subjective time).

Mac

Here is a link that might be useful: Built By MAC website

• rockrisley
    16 years ago

Hi builtbymac,
    Thanks for your photos. I really appreciate it. Your projects look great! The other question I had is regarding temperature. Do you think the XLM gets hotter in the sun than the other TimberTech products(earthwoods etc.)? That is my husbands other concern.

• builtbymac
    16 years ago

My educated guess would be, not a difference that you'd notice. But I've not done a barefoot to barefoot comparison...

(Sounds like hubby's fightin' tooth and nail for the Earthwoods series...)

Mac

• papadick58
    15 years ago

Having a 15 year old cedar deck replaced with an XLM system. I am deeply disappointed by the fact that when the Plank and/or fascia is trimmed that the core of the piece does not match the shell.
    I talked to TT and they said "this is our newest product and we are aware of the issue of the core color difference - but at the moment we have no suggestions for what can be done."
    This is seen clearly in the pics above.
    I am mad that no where does TT mention this either in their marketing material or on their web site. It is only after spending 30 grand do I now know that I have a 2 tone deck.

• builtbymac
    15 years ago

Damn, dude, you spent $30K on a deck and didn't even look at a sample board?

Your contractor didn't bring samples to the initial meeting, you didn't check out samples at the lumberyard? All cellular PVC planks are made of a foam core and a hard outer shell - different materials, different color tones. Besides that, a high end deck would have been built with all the cut edges hidden...

Research is YOUR responsibility.

Mac

• papadick58
    15 years ago

Thank you for thoughtful suggestions and/or assumptions. I did see samples of all of the products - but, dude, the samples had not been cut or trimmed.
    I should also state that the problem with the planks and fascia is primarily on the stairs. Our deck is not attached to the house but rather it sits in the woods and is on a rather steep hill. There are 8 steps to the first landing, 6 steps to the second landing and 5 steps to the top level.
    The stairs are not continuos - but at each level they actually are at the opposite end of the landing so that one is not staring at a large climb.
    Since the stairs are in the woods the treads or planks were not concealed by the fascia so that sweeping the stairs could be done rather easily. So we have a slight overhang at each step. Of course the fascia has been trimmed to follow the contour of the stringers. All in all it is superb design all around. As I said - the original deck was cedar and the ends were not an issue. I still suggest that TT should point out the fact that the core will not match the shell in their marketing pieces.

• yodoggie
    15 years ago

I am about to build a deck and have narrowed it down to the Timbertech XLM or the Procell (Azek). We are leaning twords the Timbertech XLM because of the color and hidden fasteners. I was a little concerned because I saw some bad reviews with mold for the Timbertech Earthwood. Is there anyone out there who has had the XLM for a year that can let me know if they would get it again or has any feedback? Thanks!!

• martin_carthage
    15 years ago

I would include CorrectDeck CX in your decision making, it has been around longer, has similar or better color, stain and mildew performance, and has a hidden fastener system.
    I personally would say water pooling on the deck is a positive - it means the decking isn't absorbing water. It won't per se make it slippery. The CDCX has a grit additive for slip resistance, but most all alternative deck types are actually *less* slippery when wet.

• homedoctorrh_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I just installed xlm sandridge with hidden fasteners. 72 boards,it rained on it and 1 board in the center of the deck turned 3 shades darker and absorbed the water itwas the only board that didnt have water beading on it. I dont understand how this can be

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH