Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottagecindy

putting pavers on top of cement door stoop

cottagecindy
12 years ago

I have a small front porch ( 55" deep by 81" wide with 2 5"sq columns on eat side exactly 5" from each side, so in a stupid place,should have been IN the corners, not 5" inwards.) and the house is 30' across.

here's what I want to do (since I am starting off with a blank front yard. (except for ugly nasty sidewalks that i am discussing with landlord about pulling them up) --yes he is paying for this, he actually likes my improvements !

I'm putting pavers in the grass/dirt line in a curve from the edge of the tiny porch stoop towards the driveway.i want to put the same paver on the porch and step. (the house is so old the step wasn't even done right-a 2" rise. and the step into the house is way too tall. so..........

can I put pavers-I guess with thin set , down on top of the ugly painted cement porch? I have seen neighbors do it. The big concern is the doorsill. The bottom of the sill (a thick old wood one) is about 2" off the porch cement floor. but since the sill is big and curves, it is like another step into the house. I really like pavers and I have placed them up against the door sill. They cover just enough so the paver with not fit under the sill against the wall. and of course that is not even considering how thick the thin set will be. (or mortar) The house is falling apart, so it doesn't have to be a fantastic high end job, I just want it to look nice for the next 5 yrs minimum. I'm good with a wet saw-I've glued with thinset brick on a marble fireplace years ago (half bricks) and looked great, even the grout. friends thought a pro did it ! :)))))))

so what do you think? I'd take pics, but I have NO clue how to upload them onto this. I just work on airplanes, my hubby 's the IT guy, who wants nothing to do with this. : ( and what type of pattern wold look the best in this small of an area. Got all those ideas form the capstone catalog.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting