Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosley_gw

Deck estimate morals?

hosley
14 years ago

Hi,

We are getting deck estimates for our townhouse. Of the 2 builders we are considering, one is a one person operation while the other seems like a big company. Regardless, one of these (I won't mention which) is undercutting the other by saying they'll match any estimate from anyone and take off 5%.

The idea of getting someone to give an estimate only to get it for 5% cheaper from someone else seems wrong to me. Yet at the same time it is enticing since 5% is a lot of money and this is a business after all. But what is right in the deck business specifically? This seems like a responsibility when dealing with car sales.

What I did was get an estimate from the one and then tell that builder what the other builder was offering w/ the 5%. I did not say that this was a deal-breaker since I'm not sure. One possibility is to ask this builder to match that 5% off (or compromise in between), but I'm not sure this solves the moral dilemma.

OK, so what I wanted to ask is what others both in and not in the deck business think the appropriate actions are.

Of course there are other factors other than the price that matter, but let's assume all else is equal.

Thanks,

H

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists