Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stainless Cable Rail vs. Dekorators Balisters

Posted by Markwagz (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 20, 11 at 17:39

Finalizing specifications for a 900 sq. ft. composite custom contemporary deck. Getting mixed feedback among 3 bidding contractors regarding railing. One option is composite railing with bronze Deckorators classic balusters. My preferred option from an appearance standpoint are 316 stainless cable rails, preferably strung on composite posts and top-railing - no bottom rail. None are familiar with cable rails. Two say more expensive and one says to string on cedar posts. Open to any guidance/advice from the experts on this blog.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stainless Cable Rail vs. Dekorators Balisters

composite and aluminum baluster cost = $13-$14 lf stainless steel cable rail is about $100.00 lf
What state are you in?
steve scholl

o

I doubt that you can string SS cable on composite posts. Too much tension.

Using identical wood framework, the SS cable materials are easily 3x as much as aluminum balusters. Labor is about equal.

o

Thanks for the insights. I'm in Michigan

o

me too. metro detroit?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here