Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markwagz

Trex Transcend (Spiced Rum) vs T'tech Earthwood (Pacific Walnut)

Markwagz
13 years ago

Finalizing specifications for a 900 sq. ft. custom deck. Originally spec'd Timbertech XLM, but after contractors cautioned that Evolutions or Transcend would be a better material for a family deck. Siad bug spray & sunscreen could stain XLM. Not sure comments are legit, but now torn between Trex Transcend (Spiced Rum) vs Timbertech Earthwood (Pacific Walnut). Any thoughts on these two? - beauty, wear & care, etc.?

Comments (12)

• tneison
    13 years ago

I personally found XLM to look way too plasticy - so I think that is a good decision. For this reason I decided against composites completely and went with Cumaru, but if I had gone with a composite I'd have gone with Timbertech - and the Earthwood line was the best out of those in terms of a close to realistic look (my two cents). The reputations between the two aren't even close from everything I researched, and I researched A LOT.

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

So good of you to stop by steve.

Your well thought out post and your insite regarding religion is always intersting.

This however is a site where the thoughts,personal opinions, and compairsons of non pros is greatley respected. John

• tneison
    13 years ago

"internet research???????"

Yes, internet research. You know, the predominant means to research just about everything since the 1990s? And he was asking for personal opinions, not what an unbiased resource may have published. He would have gone to that resource directly if that were the case, I'm sure.

I know in my case I intentionally came to this very forum to get individual's opinions (whether a professional like John or from other DIY'er like me), and because of everyone's opinions it helped me make what I feel was the best decision, for me. I thought it only fair to post my two cents as well in the hopes it may help others.

• www.thedeckbarn
    13 years ago

Another value added post from John Hyatt. One ups man ship for the sake of seo. Hey John.
    tneison Not everybody knows about the ICC

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

All imput when gathering info is good even Tneison,whatever that is,would work if you say so. I cant figure out Seo but no matter.

The international code council is good for some things but it has no input from the field and no information regarding how material holds up over time. That is where a web search and sites like this come in to the works.( No one should have to explain this to you.)

I my very own Self have learned a lot over the years on this site and met some real good Folks. Many diy builders have installed super fine projects with a little help on a few things and doing their homework on the web.

As always your wayward behavior mixed in with your vast business knowledge subing out decks is very much welcome.

J.

• www.thedeckbarn
    13 years ago

How nice of you to hijack someones posts by trying to belittle me.
    Steve Scholl

• kristianne
    13 years ago

I just wanted to say that we have the Trex Transcend in the grey color and absolutely love it. Beautiful, cool on the feet, easy to decorate around and a snap to maintain. We've had it for over a year now and live where we gets lots of rain. Around our neighborhood people have moss, etc. growing on the concrete driveways, sidewalks, walkways, everything. We used some mild dish soap and a soft brush to just basically knock it loose a month ago. Nothing has stained it and we use our deck a lot. I really hope this helps and please don't rag me for liking our Trex.

• www.thedeckbarn
    13 years ago

Hooray. A real hero has spoken. Imagine that, all you wood guys.
    I have installed at least 1,500 decks with trex and have been called all kinds of things on 3 different forums. I wish there were more people like you that would take the time to post. Unfortunately for all those who use the internet as their gospel it is usually the nay sayers and those that has an ax to grind that post anything at all.
    Steve Scholl
    I wonder why the 52 building departments that I apply for permits at rely on the ICC. If we can't give them the ICC report # for the decking we want to install, they will not issue the permit. Because if you were to believe; through internet research, at least here, One might think those guys just don't have it together.

• builtbymac
    13 years ago

To the OP, I've never used TREX Transcend as I stopped working w/ TREX 5 years ago. Regardless of whether or not the company has fixed their problems regarding shoddy boards, they HAVE gotten very good at weaseling out from honoring warranty claims. TimberTech is a strong company that stands behind their products. Are they perfect? No. But they'll make it right if need be.

If you buy TREX, you can only HOPE that the boards don't start disintegrating. If they do, you'll find yourself in phone hell trying to find a live person to fulfill your claim.

On another topic, I've actually found that the TT XLM boards are MORE scratch resistant than the TT Evolutions. Not sure which one's better about stain resistance though...

Mac

Here is a link that might be useful: My deck blog

• builtbymac
    13 years ago

Oh, and make sure you order and receive the new line - Earthwood Evolutions. It's different than the original Earthwood line in that it has a PVC cap on the surface of the board.

Mac

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Thanks Mac, good to see ya over here.

Very good ideas and info going on with the site.

JonMon