Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamojean

Ideas for Non-Combustible Deck?

dreamojean
11 years ago

I'm interested in seeing photos of steel, iron or other non-combustible rear decks for inspiration, as to how to make our planned 8x10 or so parlor floor deck, up to the property line, in a 3 family house in New York City, look nice and not like a fire escape. We have pets and young kids so want it to be very safe, want to be able to walk in bare feet, and have a smallish BBQ grill, small table and chairs, and some container garden plants on the deck, and perhaps some more containers going down the stairs. We will have stairs to the garden level, and the deck will be built partly over and to one side of an existing ground floor deck. But the decks I like are all iron with wood inlay, and if this whole thing has to be non-combustible I can't picture it. So, I'd love to know who others used and how they made it work.Since we're in NYC, it's an open question whether we can use fire-rated ipe wood for the infill and possibly the stairs but our architect is willing to sign off on it.

Our architect included McNichols galvanized steel and subway grating and potential contractors have told us that doing it this way doubles or triples the cost and have suggested Diamondback steel, painted black. It's confusing and I'd love input.