Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
halligan_gw

Protect and Seal?

halligan
15 years ago

I have a camaru deck with cedar post and now it is time to protect and seal. For the camaru (Not quite as hard as Ipe) I am planning on Messmers UV plus for HW. I was hoping to go with Woodzotic but it seems Ken has had some troubles keeping the product available. How does Messmer's hold up? Is there another I should consider?

For the cedar, I have a few more questions...

First has anyone used or heard of Cedarshield wood perservative? If it is a good option, should it be applied with a good preserving sealer/stain or is this overkill? For the stain, I am tempted to use OneTime. Even though it has not been around for many years, the reviews are mostly very positive and resealing baluster can be very time consuming. Is this the way to go? If it is, should I still consider a petrification process(cedarshield)? The camaru is going to be as natural looking as possible and I want to match or at least not contrast the rail stain to the camaru color. What color OneTime should I use? If Onetime is NOT the way to go I was thinking of staying with Messmer's for cedar or maybe Wood Tux? Help????

Comments (7)

• john_hyatt
    15 years ago

Messmers sucks almost as much as the one time scam. Dont use either one of them. J.

• halligan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Can you lead me in the right direction? Why do the other 'suck'?

• john_hyatt
    15 years ago

As it turned out the Ken was just relabeling a product called Woodrich. Just google up to find it. This product has a TWP base and they had a twp guy on board in the mix I have used it and so far its working great a year down.Both are a build coat product that is you will never have to strip it. Or you could just use TWP .

Messymers is just that recoat requiers stripping off the old. Come on Man... with a name like one time....what do you expect??? there is a sucker born every second. Just search this site, if you still belive it I have a great investment offer for you. J.

• halligan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great news J. I had given up on WoodZotic and after much research found WoodTux was the way to go. Now I feel great to know I have made the right choice. Thanks.

Can you recommend a color for camaru and a complimenting color for cedar rails? I would like to keep the camaru as natural as possible with a nice wet look. Will brown sugar give an orange hue?

• john_hyatt
    15 years ago

I havent really played around with the product other than the golden color slample they sent me, I am still a twp kinda guy. My Co is using the brighter/mild oxalic they sell.
    Most always when I mix up S American and western red cedar I use the same color on both. To get a wet look you will need to build coats, there are a few little tricks to doing that

Wonder what happened to the ol Ken, probley over in Mexico. J.

• mwhoney89
    13 years ago

I read every thing i could about the product i went to lots of websites and only found a tiny bit of info on it (one story) but what i did find was good. I happen to live close to there store front so i went in there ready to buy my first gallon of cedar Shield but after talking to the staff i decided not to because they could not answer simply questions from the info packs in there store. Then about a month later i had some green American black walnut that i wanted to dry quickly so against my better judgment i bought a 1 gallon jug. I did everything the sales person told me to do and i even put 6 coats of there product on the 24" end cut table tops and a week latter they had hundreds of little cracks all over the table tops. I called and of coarse there is no money-back-guarantee (i already new that) and then they tried to blame it on the wood saying that it was defective so i keep pushing the issue then they blamed it on the milling of the wood and i called them on that also then the owner said it was because of the location i cut the table tops from. I was not ever told the 5+ times i talked to those people that there are only special spots that you can cut the wood from so this product will work.The product does not even come close to working the way the literature describes. The treated wood and non treated wood show no difference between the two. The big clue for me thinking this is just a big scam is the fact that they have no Money-back-guarantee lots of companies sell products like this and this is the only one with no guarantee.

• salmon_slayer
    13 years ago

I will second the use of the veto on using Messners. I used it on my new Ipe deck and it lasted about 3 months before it was faded (horizontal surfaces) and turning grey. It looked fantastic the first month.... I stripped it and reapplied TWP a few weeks ago.

That being said, the deck is in a coastal area (Pebble Beach, Ca)and gets moist almost every day. That may contribute to the problem. It certainly did not help the night I put the TWP on but thats another story...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipe information