Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deck Frame Rotten in Places

Posted by doyline (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 20, 11 at 14:35

Our composite deck is being replaced after 3 years,(bad batch of boards), when deck guys took off the boards there are alot of rotten wood boards, the steps are the worst, totally rotten in places. Anyone know why this happened? And how it can be prevented? I dont think I will get a new deck every 3 years and I want to know what to say to the deck guy who built it the first place, and is now rebuilding it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deck Frame Rotten in Places

Was this a new deck in the begining?, that is not a reskin.

J.

o

Yes it was new, that is why I am wondering how the lumber can be so rotten after only 3 years.

o

Strange. Did the deck guy use preasure treated wood for the frame? J.

o

Some of the wood has stamps on it, some of it doesnt. I would think they did. The company has been around for awhile, I would think they didnt shortcut there. I have not ask the Deck Guy that question yet, this was all dicovered Friday,

o

If by stamp you mean a sticker on the ends of the boards reading that will tell you.

Even with the pt lumber we use now rotting out in 3 years cannot happen. J.

o

send pics of your deck
steve scholl

o

If this was a completely new deck, in the last 3 years, It should not be rotten. Something is not right. I would get another builder, unless this guy will replace it all for free.

o

I dont know to post the pics. I have them on my camera if u can help.
Yes we know something is not right that is what we are trying to figure it out. Deck Guy said he will replace the rotten wood, but I what to know why this happened and how to make sure it doesnt happened again in 3 years.

o

Doy. About all anyone can do is what we have done.

Its a 99 % deal if it rotted out in three years it was not preasure treated wood used building the frame.

To make sure it doesnt happen again in three years use ground contact preasure treated wood this time.

J.

o

That's a bad deal, no deck frame should rot in 3 years. I'd want the whole frame re-done with the right type of wood this time, not just replacing the rotted ones as the rest of it is sure to go soon too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here