Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Post-Front porch post war era blah!

Posted by decoratordiva (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 14:23

Hi Everyone! I am a home decor addict. I bought this house for a steal in a great neighborhood but need some help with making it look more updated. All of the houses in the neighborhood are 1940's-50's post war era brick "bungalows." This is a bungalow where I am from. In California, it is a different type of house.

Here are some pics of before, during, after, and HELP!

I hate the light grey roof, but won't be replacing it anytime soon. I don't care for the concrete pilasters around the door, and I also am negative about the white trim. So what to do? Not a fan of brass either. Need some sharp eyes please!

First month that I had the house. Just added some plants, etc. Boring white door.
First month

Painted the front door a warm dark grey to pull out some of the color from the brick.

Door paint

May flowers

Fall flowers

Fall house

Detail of porch. UGLY BRASS-Ick concrete

Detail of front

So here are the list of things that I am pondering:
Black front door w/nickel knobs, kickplate, new porch light. Paint my $200 garage sale mail box (major steal for $10) I am stumped by the white trim and light grey roof.

I think I was on the right track with the door going grey. I am not afraid of color. Any ideas? Pics welcome. Thank you !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Post-Front porch post war era blah!

The concrete pillar things are weird... would it be possible to paint them same color as the brick (the mid red tone) to help them blend in to the background? And yes with the grey door and roof I think the brass looks out of place and silver tones will look better. And I think I'd go with black trim!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here