Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deck that must be no more than 6' above grade?

Posted by msavold (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 19, 12 at 14:07

Folks:

Any recommendations / comments on a new deck where the town code says it can NOT be more than 6" off the existing ground?

My biggest issue is how to frame it - if I use PT 2x6s, they end up half buried. And I'm afraid 2x4s on edge would flex too much and require way more footings. (For support, I was thinking 8" tubes.)

For the decking itself, we had first considered Fiberon Ipe decking - but they won't guarantee it if there isn't 6" clear under the deck. Now we're looking at real ipe - and the question there is whether to use 5/4 or 4/4 decking...

Oh, and the deck is in Delaware, about 4 blocks in from the ocean.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mauro

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deck that must be no more than 6' above grade?

Whoops - subject line should be 6 INCHES, not 6'!

o

That's not a deck - that's a patio! Maybe install a concrete slab and if you don't like the look install something over it? Though I'm not sure you will find a composite decking that doesn't specify ventilation below it?

o

even real wood decking needs to have ventilation from beneath the surface

o

There is stuff like this to go over concrete.

Here is a link that might be useful: Resurfacing a Concrete Patio Deck

o

Thanks for the comments but, yeah - that's my problem: had thought about a slab but the town won't let me put concrete under it because they want rain infiltration so no solid surfaces. That makes me think that the local 'standard' is for people to just accept that their decks will rot from the minute they're built!

o

What town is this? Sounds like they are just saying "you can't have a deck".

o

A paver patio will satisfy the rain infiltration requirement just fine.

o

Dennisgli: South Bethany, DE. Apparently, it's the state's natural resources dept. and the army corps of engineers that are driving the whole thing - we back onto a canal system that DNREC and USACE regulate and the town seems to be really trying to limit decks - or much of anything near the canals. The frustrating thing is that there are plenty of existing decks...)

GreenDesigns: thought about porous pavers - and may go back there again. Just didn't think a deck would be such a pain to do until I started looking into the details! (Aside: the town has *just* (last week) passed an ordinance approving porous pavers - for the past few years they were apparently insisting on considering them as impervious area...)

o

I would consider ipe deck tiles. Made for this type application:
george@eastteak.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here