Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
movinginva_gw

Need Help Creating an Outdoor Space

movinginva
12 years ago

***I posted a similar question in Home Decorating***

Hello All,

This is my first time posting in the Porches and Decks area of the forums. We live on a large lot and have no porch or deck. I would like to create a nice outdoor space where I can put a bench, or chairs. I am thinking of going two different ways and would like some advice.

1. Building a wooden porch that extends from where the stairs are currently, to the end of the bay window. The bay window is 96 inches wide, so including the front door area that is currently there, the porch will be about 12feet wide.

2. I have considered doing a hadscape area where the 'garden' is currently. I am having a hard time visualizing this one. I think this option may be better since it may be quite a bit easier. My DH and I plan on doing the work ourselves.

In either of the options, will I need to add a roof or extend the current one? I am trying to stay away from having to mess with a roof since we would like to do the work ourselves and keep costs down. The area does get really good shade.

Are there other options I need to look at? Are there other things I need to consider?

Here is a pic of the front of the house. Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments (4)