Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spa on Deck

Posted by taverty (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 11:48

I know the usual answer to this question is "speak to a structural engineer." However, I am building a new deck and would like the possibility to add a hot tub in the extended future. We may never install one. I already spoke to a local structural engineering firm and they wanted ~$1,000 just to look at the plans. When I pull the hot tub permit later I'll need a structural engineer to sign off on the plans. I would just hate later if an engineer says, "You could have installed a hot tub if the footer was 1 inch bigger!"

I researched and ran some calculations to come up with footer sizes and I was hoping the community could take a look and let me know the plans look adequate to support a basic Costco tub I found.

Parameters I used:
2000 psf soil bearing capacity
130 psf for the entire deck
Tub details:
7'7" x 7'7"
4100lbs filled
See the plans at the following link:
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w392/stkelly/Deck.jpg

Thanks!

~Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spa on Deck

Here's the plans:

Deck Plans

Thanks.

o

Consider pouring a concrete slab and designing the deck such that you can later cut away and install the hot tub more flush with the deck level.

o

We're required to design to 200lb/sqft for hot tubs or spas on a wood deck.

o

Money-gomery County, Maryland? You are NOT going to get around the red tape associated with having an engineer's stamp. Bite the bullet and pay for the consult now.

o

Thanks for the feedback. Wow 200lb/sqft? Snow country?

Yeah I hear you on the engineers stamp. And I have no intention of installing a hot tub without the engineers stamp and proper permits. The big issue I have with paying 750-1000 now is I may never install the tub.

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here