Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riles_j_gw

Ipe Deck Fascia

riles_j
14 years ago

OK, so I am finally getting around to Phase 2 of my Ipe deck project. I know this has been going on for a long time, but I had to finish paying off Phase 1 first.

My project is simply to cover the fascia and install some deck lighting. My first question is in regards to the fascia. I have 2x10 joists that I am covering. My options are:

1) Butt two 1x6's up and let them hand down below the 2x10

2) Have 1x6's ripped to size and put a radius back on the ripped edge to create a defined seam.

3) Have 1x6's ripped to size and do not put a radius back on the ripped edge and just butt them up tight.

I am also not opposed to going a different route with other fascia material and using maybe a 1x10 of some other material.

Any thoughts?

Riles

Comments (11)

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

Install 1 1/2'' endgrain trim all around the outside.

Run the 1x6 up and down buting up to the bottom of the trim hanging down 1''. J.

• riles_j
    Original Author
    14 years ago

John,

I have already installed the 1 1/2" endgrain all around the outside.

I think the look I am going for is more the horizontal running boards. Do you think leaving the 1x6's hanging down 1" or 1 1/2" would be a problem?

Riles

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

Nawww it looks a lot better than trying to make them flush and the ipe will be way stable enough. You might beval the ends with an orbital. I just dont like the horiontal look ,Ya know every 5 1/2'' seems like more detail to me.

Riles , you could always glue up the the stock to the width you want if you still go leangth ways that would look pretty cool.
    Also tightbond has come up with an construstion adhesive that would work real well with the install. I was happy to find the new stuff they must have passed thrugh the green mafia somehow speaking of them fools its a good thing the global warming mith has gone the way of the spotted owl but a shame so much money was spent on it.

Some day you will be done with that thing!!! JonMon

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

"I was happy to find the new stuff they must have passed thrugh the green mafia somehow speaking of them fools its a good thing the global warming mith has gone the way of the spotted owl but a shame so much money was spent on it".

Next time around, lets all vote in Al "global warming" Gore. Need mo' money, we'll print some more!

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

Sierr Mon, I could not have said it better my very own self. J.

• riles_j
    Original Author
    14 years ago

John,

If we do decide to run them vertical, do you fasten these with one screw in each corner, glue them? Just curious. We are going to put it up each way and then determine which we like.

Thanks,

Riles

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

I use a griprite 1 1/2'' nailer ( Great air tool I bought the three pack ) and tightbond con adhesive. J.

• weedyacres
    14 years ago

I did your choice #1, rounded off the ends with a router, glued with construction adhesive and nailed with 2" SS finish nails. Can't wait until it's warm enough to plant some bushes to cover up the rest of the PT.

• riles_j
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Weedy,

Yes, that is the look that I was leaning towards. I love the way your deck truned out. Are your rim joists 2x10"? Not sure I am following what you routed? Just the ends where it makes a ninety degree turn or did you route the length of the board?

Riles

• weedyacres
    14 years ago

Yes, the joists are 2x10, so the fascia goes a couple inches below the bottom of the joist. The routering/rounding was just on the ends, to make a "bullnose" of sorts. I figured that if I mitered the corners they'd gap with the expand/contract cycle, so I just rounded out the edge of the outside board on each corner. Same thing I did with the stair risers, bullnosing over the boards I put along the stringers. And with the bench fascia.

Here's a closer-up view of the stairs that shows it.

• amiwhere
    14 years ago

Weedyacres, what is your railing made of? It looks like a 2x4 both top and bottom with a 1x4 cap. Could you contact me offline (see my page for link), I have a couple of other questions for you and I see I am doing somethings very similar to you. Looks awesome!!

Thanks, Dean