Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Porch Railing Questions

Posted by steve_a (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 08 at 11:10

I have to replace the iron railing on my small front porch and steps. The porch is concrete. It's not a big job, but will run into some money, and will impact the appearance of the front of the house, which is brick. The three options for railing that I'm considering are iron, aluminum, and vinyl (ala Home Depot). The price of materials for vinyl is $600-800 from what I can determine; then I'd need to install or pay for installation. My neighbor (who seems to know) says that iron could run me $1500. I had read that aluminum is cheaper than iron, but I'm not sure. I found a website for railingworks.com and I like the looks of their products. I plan to submit a request for a quote from them. I don't care for the white vinyl look as much. Iron or aluminum come in colors, including black. Any information on the relative costs of each of these types, or other comments?

Another question: If there's enough left in the budget, we'd like to have the porch and steps faced in brick or pavers. Obviously it would be best to do this before railing installation, but that may not be possible. Thoughts on uninstalling railing from the concrete at a later date? Terrible idea? Thanks, Steve A

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Porch Railing Questions

Aluminum is defently not cheaper than Steel. Usually there is a local welding outfit that makes up steel rail these guys are the place to start.Several ways exist to fasten the rail posts to the slab.

www.kingmetals.com will give you an idea of componet cost and the wide range that can be done in steel or alum.

John

o

I would suggest finding a local supplier that carries Fortress iron rails. They have several styles to choose from, are easy to install & affordable. I'm not sure what their website is but, you can view it at my suppliers site, www.austinwholesaledecking.com

If you are in fact going to install the railing first then putting down bricks on the patio I'd suggest raising the rail 2 1/2" (or whatever the heigth of the bricks/pavers are) that way you don't have to uninstall/install. Also you'll get a better connection to concrete than bricks.

Al

o

Thanks, guys. Those are helpful suggestions. I will get on the phone and get some local estimates.
Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here