Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_in_toronto

how to attach pergola to THIS house?

mary-in-toronto
13 years ago

I would like to build a cedar pergola attached to this house. It will not have a roof. Because of the position of the windows and roof line, attaching beams to a ledger board does not seem possible, unless I cut the ledger? Alternatively, can I use masonry joist hangars?

Thanks

Comments (12)

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Its a bad idea to fasten anything of a structural nature to brick veneer.

It seems natural seeing your picture to use posts to support your project.

But as your question is how to build attaching to your house it is possible to use 1/2'' steel custom made brackets that fasten under the soffit to the rafter tails or joists , bend around,come up higher than the roof line allowing room for the gutter, and bolting your framing member to it.

If you go to my site,www.deckmastersllc.com , in the Showcase forth down on the left you will see a project done this way. JonMon

• www.thedeckbarn
    13 years ago

I wouldn't attach it at all. Use 6x6 post in an area where there are no windows and run the beams at the house, not parallel. The tops of the beams can be same height as the gutters so the joist will be above the window height.
    Steve Scholl

• mary-in-toronto
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your responses. The house is solid masonry, not brick veneer. Are custom brackets the only option?
    My preference is not to place posts against the house.
    Would it be possible to attach short ledgers in order for 3 beams to be attached perpendicular to the house?

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

If you have a filled block wall behind the brick using expanded anchors or two part epoxie and threaded rod would work as long as your local permit store agrees.

Fastening plates,if aproved, to support beams in place of posts would result in low framing that would still darken the window area,and mabey remove access to them, that it seems your trying to avoid.

Using the brackets or well placed posts could provide framing going higher than your roof line and extend over it if you wanted. J.

• mary-in-toronto
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Would this type of bracket work?

Here is a link that might be useful: Simpson masonry beam hangar

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Normaly when Simpson says it will work the permit store usually aggres. J.

• www.thedeckbarn
    13 years ago

Seems like we been had by a Simpson rep. Why ask for answers when you already have them????????????????
    steve scholl

• mary-in-toronto
    Original Author
    13 years ago

" * Posted by www.thedeckbarn (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 5, 11 at 7:06

Seems like we been had by a Simpson rep. Why ask
    for answers when you already have them????????????????
    steve scholl"

You are mistaken, Steve.
    Thanks John Hyatt, for validating a cautious diy-er

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Its all good Mary , there is nothing to do but put up with Killer that is just his way.

The conection to a block/brick building can be done with those hangers. However with a structure like your thinking about its not just shear strength and pull out you should consider. As the wind / load works on those fasteners its possible they could begin to weaken if your project is not well braced for diagonal stress.

John Hyatt www.deckmastersllc.com

• www.thedeckbarn
    13 years ago

Jon Hyatt

Are you going to the deck show in Vegas this Tuesday?
    Steve Scholl

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Not going at all Man.

I see little value in making shows like that for my Business. All though it would be intersting to actualy meet a lot of Folks I have talked to over the years on the sites. Becides that there is no money for me to make and I dont miss out on anything new I wont hear about the next day on the forums or the pro deck mag.

If I ever really needed a tax deduction and they pop one in Dallas I might make it. J.

• www.thedeckbarn
    13 years ago

I understand why go any where ansd learn anything when you know it all, Heh.
    This is not the deck mags show. There is another show which is 3 times bigger, than the mag show. This is the show I was talking about.

FENCETECH� is the American Fence Association�s annual convention and trade show and is the industry�s premier marketplace. Noted as one of Trade Show Week�s 50 Fastest Growing Trade Shows, FENCETECH brings together the industry�s leading manufacturers, distributors, contractors and specifiers to showcase the latest in the fence industry to thousands of AFA members and other fence, deck and railing professionals.

DECKTECH� is presented by the Vinyl Fence, Deck and Railing Manufacturers Association (VFDRMA) and is held side-by-side with FENCETECH. DECKTECH is the annual exhibition of the deck and railing industry and includes live Deck Demos daily