Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
km5tq

Porch extension delema..desperately need advice

km5tq
12 years ago

Our house is a 1970s ranch style that has a long,narrow concrete slab porch. There is two stone pillars/posts at each end of the porch. They are located close to the edge of the porch.

The porch is so narrow that I can't use my power chair to be able to enjoy sitting on the porch.

I need to mention that the porch has a large crack that runs across the porch vertically. Also, it looks like the porch may have seperated from the house. It would be cost prohibitive to tear it out and build a new one.

I came up with an idea I think would work,but I don't know if it would look alright.

Since I need a deeper porch, I thought about building a wood porch over the concrete and extend the depth a foot or so. My concern is that the stone pillars would be set back from the edge of the porch. I would also like to add a porch railing.

Do you think it would look strange? We also want to re-landscape our front yard this spring.

Our house has a slate gray roof with white trim and yellow for rest of the house. The porch railing would be in white.

The exterior of the house is 3/4 sandstone.

Please let me know what you think. Open to all suggestions.

Comments (3)