Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jse75

Best Stain for Garapa (TWP 1500 series?)

jse75
13 years ago

Hi,

My contractor here in Austin TX is about to install our new decking material and we've chosen Garapa (we are redo'ing and expanding an existing deck). From the forum here it seems like a pretty good choice and much less expensive than Ipe.

If we want to maintain the original color as close as possible, what is the 'best' stain to use? It seems that TWP 1500 series is a good way to go, but what color? I realize 'best' is subjective but any insight would be appreciated. We would prefer the low VOC formulations even though you might still be able to get the TWP 100 series in TX. I'm not wed to that brand, either, just seemed to get good reviews here and y'all seem to know what you're talking about!

Thanks

Jason

Comments (5)

• deckman22
    13 years ago

I've never worked with the 1500 series of twp only the 100 series.

My best advise would be to visit with that guy off Bee Caves road who is the local TWP rep. He's got all the different kinds of stains there, colors the paint stores don't keep in stock, other brands too. Take a couple of scraps to have him do some samples on the garapa. I don't have his number handy, I'll see if I can find it to post later. I think he is listed in the yellow pages.

• nerdyshopper
    13 years ago

I'm no professional but when I was staining my deck, I chose Cabot's Semi-transparent oil stain because at the time it was a favorite here. I had used 2 or three other stains then, but none has lasted as well as the Cabot. The color used by three posters on this site was Chestnut Brown. It is a rich reddish dark brown. You can go to the Cabot site and look at the many stain colors they offer. I got it at Lowe's Hardware. If you want to check on the posts on that subject then, just do a search on this forum for my user name.

• jmdaniel
    13 years ago

Jason,

What did you end up using? I have a Garapa deck in NW Austin, about 1 year old, and am now looking at sealing it for the 3RD TIME! The first time was with Cabot's ATO, the second with TWP 116, and neither lasted. I need to do it again, and I want something that will last at least a year.

Thanks!

• jse75
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, we finally got to the point in our renovation where they stained the garapa. They had left it unstained since installing it in January. It had sort of mellowed into a yellower color than when it was fresh.

We had elected to go with the TWP 1516 Rustic based on the samples our painter had done on some leftover pieces of the garapa back in the winter.

They prepared the deck by following the instructions that come with the TWP: powerwash with bleach, allow to try, then two coats (wet on wet) of the TWP.

Unfortunately after 4 days of drying in the hot sun, the deck is basically a very reddish orange hue. Not ideal. On the original samples, the 1516 Rustic was much browner, but this is - well, it is basically orange.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what to do to get the lightish brown color we were attempting?

Oy, what a mess.

Thanks!

• Skris
    8 years ago

@jse74 It has been 4 years since the last comment. What did you end up doing? I

m considering TWP Rustic on my new redwood deck but am worried it may be too red

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH