Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorry2

Need professional opinion

dorry2
11 years ago

I am having a screened porch built,, using Azec porch floor, which is narrower than Azec decking and is tongue and groove. My understanding is azec porch should be laid on a slight decline of 1/4" to allow for drainage. My husband and I notice the floor did not appear to have this decline so he asked the contractor who said if it is on a deline, there will be an opening at the end of the screened porch to allow for drainage and will be a potential problem with bugs entering. Is this true? He claims he has an azec porch and has not had a problem with drainage. If the problem is an opening for drainage, couldn't a screen be put in place where the drainage holes are? I am concerned about rains, snow and drainage issues. Since this floor is tongue and groove, is there any way or room for water to drain? This is a second home so the house is unoccupied much of the year and I certainly would not want drainage issues and, possibly, compromise he integrity if the azec composite.

This is a big project and is quite expensive, so I would rather be proactive now rather than reactive later. I know very little about a screened porch construction, but I did some reading prior to making my decision on the azec porch vs, the azec decking. Maybe the recommendation for the 1/4" inch decline is for a porch that is not screened?? I might add this is in an area that has humid hot summers and cold winters with occasional snow and ice..

Please help.... I will be talking to him as early as tomorrow or Tuesday. I certainly do not want to put him on the defensive, but I need to know if this is standard practice. He does nice work and I am not in the trade, but at the same time, this is contrary to what I have read. Maybe we should go with the azec decking and save $2575, but I really like the look of the porch floor since it is a screened porch and not a deck. I also like the fact there are no visible nails on the floor.

Thank you, all, for your expertise and input!

Comments (3)