Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Expanding Deck Stairs: DIY or small pro job

Posted by nctal (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 28, 09 at 19:59

I have a standard small builder deck on my house and am looking at expanding the stairs so they wrap around the wood deck to a concrete pool deck I'm adding below. Basically, I'm taking a narrow staircase and wrapping it around to make it an L-shaped staircase.

The job wouldn't appear to be all that difficult, but given that everything else will be professionally done, I wanted some opinions. Should I do it myself or find a deck guy who's willing to do such a small job?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Expanding Deck Stairs: DIY or small pro job

Find a Contractor. If the work is half as thin as it is over here you wont have to wait long. J.

o

If you already know how to build stairs, why hire a contractor for the rest of the deck?

(sarcasm intended)

o

Thanks Aidan, I needed a good yuck. Something I hear all the time>>It wouldn't appear all that difficult " Naaaaaaa its not. Of course its way more difficult for a suit to jump up the numbers in the shock market then just sit back and take in the money but pay a Contractor!!!!!! Hell NO.
J.

o

I guess what I was saying was that its an awfully small job for pros such as yourselves. You've conveyed your opinion to the contrary.

I'm going back to manipulating everyone's 401k and picking out furniture for the corporate jet.

o

Hey John- hope you are surviving these days. Lost a member of my crew this week due to budget reductions.

o

Aidan Man,all three of mine are gone no way could I keep them on work is total flat line. My Girl worker is in a meat packing plant at 7 bucks hr,another is hauling scrap metal in his chevy luv, and one is sitting in the local cross bars hotel for dui. The whole thing has gone the way of the do do.
I myself am in the shop heated by a wood stove crafted out of a hot water tank fuled with all my ipe scraps warming me and the glue while I crank out tables/benches/planter boxes in fact anything I can think of and pitching them to local stores.
One good thing>> I built an $800 dog house <<<
Life Is Good!!! J.

o

John,

I thought IPE had the same fire rating as concrete so are you really burning IPE?

Hope things pick up for you soon,

Mike

o

Its a burn thru rating not a fireproof rating anything will burn if it gets hot enough. If ipe dident burn the natives over there would not be busy clearing out the rain forest with fire to grow cocca.

I have been biding a few latley but I am finding out the scale has been lowered way down to low ball and below. J.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here