Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babs77_gw

Composite decking choices - need advice

babs77
16 years ago

We are looking at replacing our badly worn out wood deck with a composite material. My GC has mentioned three - Oasis by Alcoa, Geodeck and Timber Tech. Does anyone have experience with any of these composite materials? Pros and cons on any of the three? And does anyone have advice on what I can possibly expect the cost difference to be of composite versus PT wood (in the Denver, CO area)?

BTW, this is my first post -- been "lurking" here for a few months. Some of your decks are awesome looking and the advice and suggestions are good. It's all given me some great ideas.

Comments (15)

• deckman22
    16 years ago

Stay away from geodeck, they've had some major problems with their boards falling apart. Timber Tech is one of the leading composites & is a good product. Oasis is also a good composite, less expensive than TT. Cost difference between PT & composite anywhere will be large.

Al

• john_hyatt
    16 years ago

I can recomend TimberTech,never use geodeck,never even seen oasis. If you go with TT expect a price jump the end of this month.

Any composite project cost more than your adverage pt deck. How much more depends on the bids you get. John

• angelom
    16 years ago

I like Azek deck---and my contractor just completed our deck using Fiberon Professional Series. Among those you mentioned, Timber Tech seems to be the one many contractors on this site prefer. There are also Geodeck loyalists on the web, but they are so biased in favor of Geodeck and against everything else, I think they are promoting Geodeck for their own purposes.

• landp
    16 years ago

Just a couple of weeks ago we had composite decking put on our new build. TT was one of the options given to me by my builder, too. After much research (a lot of it from this site), I ordered AmeriDeck. I found quite a few detractors of TT on this site--try also the new construction forum. No one around here had ever heard of AD, but I think they will consider it now. My builder was so impressed with the way it handled and how it looked after installation. He even threw a scrap in the fire after I told him of the fire resistant properties, and was extrememly impressed with its reaction (or lack thereof). Of course, I don't have info on how it will hold up, but warranty is good. Cost was about the same as TT.

Good luck.

• graciesmom284
    16 years ago

i can recommend timbertech, in teak. it looks great, and when scratched, softens in time and blends in with the rest of the product. (wood scratches too you know)so far, i have no complaints...just waiting on railing now.click on the link for the picture

Here is a link that might be useful:

• garden_junkie_carrie
    16 years ago

We are in the process of building a deck right now too. We bought 100% composite decking from Royal Mouldings. I think it's called Harmony Select or something like that. I worked there so I got a good discount on it. If you are in the North, Parksite Plunkett-Webster is a great distributor of all polystyrene products.
    The deck is beautiful, looks like redwood. It cuts and screws just like wood, only it has the hidden fasteners to put it down with. And, it has caps for the end of every board. They also have the bull nose, starter strip, and fascia in two widths to finish your project. There is no maintenance, it is guaranteed to never warp, rot or fade.
    I'm so excited to see it finished, I can't wait for the framing to be complete. It was a little more expensive than what we would have paid for wood, but in the long run with no maintenance (staining, painting, etc) it is going to be a lot cheaper.

• decker173
    16 years ago

There is no such thing a maintenance free deck. All decks get dirty and need to be cleaned. How you do it depends on the product. Does this product called "Harmony Select" guarantee not to stain or mildew? What is it made of?

• garden_junkie_carrie
    16 years ago

Well, of course all decks have to be cleaned, but with this one all you have to do is wet it down and take a broom and sweep it off. There is no painting or staining which I hated doing for our old deck. We have the sunset color.
    Harmony Select with Celucor is composed of natural fibers encapsulated with cellular PVC, capped with an advanced, weather-safe thermoplastic resin. I got to go out in the plant quite often and watch this being extruded. It was really interesting.
    It has a 25 year warranty. It does state that some degree of fading over time is expected and goes on about different UVA rays, locations, etc. all contributing to the degree that it will fade.

Here are a few sites with info for you to check out.

http://www.royalcrownltd.com/documents/RoyalCrown_HarmonySelect%20_bulletin%20FINAL.pdf

http://www.royalcrownltd.com/harmonyselect_deck/index_main.htm

You can google harmony select for more information as well.

• john_hyatt
    16 years ago

Now where have I heard this before. J.

• nisar96_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

I have used Oasis Decking extensively and would recommend it. Timber tech is nice also but is more expensive. I would look at the color match to your home when choosing as both of these are good products. A big advantage of Oasis is the manufacturer specs the usage of a finish nail along with an adhesive to the joists. This gives (nearly) the appearance of a hidden fastener while adding no labor intensive costs. A great look. Feel free to browse the 1000's of pictures on my website. I think you'll enjoy it. I know you'll find it helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miles Bradley Building -Chicago Deck Builder

• deckman22
    16 years ago

I can't imagine glueing & using finish nails with a composite like Oasis. The glue will fail then nothing but finish nails holding together the decking. Have you gone back & checked up on how those decks are holding up after a few years time out in the weather?

Cool looking project at the Detroit Zoo.

Al

• garden_junkie_carrie
    16 years ago

We just finished the floor part of our new Harmony Select deck. We got half of the end caps glued in before the rain came. It was super easy to install, cutting was a breeze, and it looks really nice. Now, we are on the hunt for post sleeves and railing.
    I just wanted to pass on some info I recently found out from a former co-worker at Royal. Due to a buyout from Georgia Gulf Corporation, they have changed the name of this decking from Harmony Select to Senovia. She said they have halted production on it for the time being now too. It is still available from Delta Distributing and a few other companies at this time.

• georgeandlisa_bellsouth_net
    12 years ago

we are in the process of building a new house with a 6 foot wide front porch and 10 foot wide back porch The house and porches are 9 foot off the ground. We live in central Louisiana with lots of heat and humidity. We really want porches, railing, and stairs that will last without having to paint and won't splinter. I would like to have 2 or 3 brands to choose from that would be good for our area. Of course price is a part of it, but willing to pay a little more for a good product, good warrenty, and good history. Also, like the sound of hidden fasteners. My husband says it's my choose-so I need some good advice please

• patiml_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

STAY AWAY from FIBERON!!! We built a deck with this and hate it!! It stains and get full of mildew. Every year we clean it and within 5-6 weeks it looks terrible again. We want to replace it with something else so I'm looking at what other people recommend. I want something that is low maintenance.