Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attaching privacy fence to brick veneer of a house

Posted by Muga6842 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 23, 12 at 19:34

Hi all,
We're rebuilding a privacy fence along the side of our yard - and want it to be constructed flush with the front of the house. Our area in central Texas is notorious for cracking soils, high winds, etc.; things to consider before building an expensive fence. I'll be using 4X4X10 treated posts, concreting them at least 3' in the ground and cutting off the top 1' - ending up with a 6' fence post. I'd like to attach the first post to the house to add support and rigidity to the fence, but I don't know how to do this without damaging the brick. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attaching privacy fence to brick veneer of a house

The rigidity of the fence comes with how you set your posts. Tying it into the corner of the house is only going to strengthen that post but will do little for even that section that is running off that post. When you dig down to set that post without tying it into the corner of the house, you might run into slag from the footings of the houses foundation. Chip that flush and set your post the same you are setting the rest of them. There is no advantage to tie it into the corner and you are only going to wreck the brick veneer and chance that they will crack out on you. If you are concreting in, you are going to want to put a bed of pea gravel in the hole, set the post, and put a little more gravel a tad up the sides of the post before concreting. This allows drainage. Unless you are in a heavy frost zone, I don't see an advantage for going 3' in depth, but that's your call. It's more about how you excavate the hole by digging out wider at the base and tapering in towards the top before graveling, setting the post, and concreting. It helps if you can compact the sides of the hole , out here by wetting the sides down with water, but not too much where you have standing water. It dependes on your soils type. If your soils type is loose, then going deep might be the answer.

o
RE: Attaching privacy fence to brick veneer of a house

To make a really strong fence, Use 4x6 for the posts. Set the 4x6 so the wide part is with the cross section of the fence. This will be more than twice as strong in the wind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here