Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brian2412

Pergola Material

brian2412
14 years ago

Hi all. I'm going crazy finding all kinds of conflicting information. I'm building an attached WOOD pergola for our patio. My wife wants it painted white. I need help with WOOD selection:

I've read that I can't paint Pressure Treated Lumber (my first inclination). Cedar is expensive, but its a shame to cover it with paint (and I'm not sure paint will take). Lastly, many of the lumber stores in my area recommended using select struc fir for this since I'll be primering and painting.

This is going to be on a south facing patio in the Desert. Will not see much precip (~7 in./yr).

Please let me know what you recommend...I want to do this right and not have it twist and warp wildly...also don't want to put up wood that won't take paint. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• fnmroberts
    14 years ago

Your information is correct, PT is generally not paintable and cedar does not hold paint well (at least on horizontal surfaces).

As your climate is dry, the fir might work fine. Personally would not be my choice but if it is satisfactory for the climate your local source would know.

As to cedar, stain it with an oil based stain. Here is a photo of ours, all cedar, coated with a semi-solid oil-based stain. You will need to oil any wood in your climate to preserve it. I coated mine following the mill work but prior to assembly to make certain all the joints were treated. I believe stain is the correct product for all exterior applications because it soaks into rather than reside atop the wood. Never requires scraping.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the build.

{{!gwi}}

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

Since you are in the desert, douglas fir would be fine since you are wanting to paint. Primering before painting and as Fnmroberts advises, at least primer all cut ends, rips, in another words no bare wood before assembling, even where you dont see it. Redwwod and cedar do well when treated as Fmnroberts advises as well, with a good oil based semi-transparent or solid stain depending on whether you want to keep the integrity of the grainig which would be with semi-tramsparent. Solid would appear more like a painted surface. Now's a good time of year in the desert for working with and sealing lumber. In the summer you can almost watch most wood species warp and twist as soon as you unload it from the truck. The hot,dry kills it. We always kept it stacked tight and covered in visquine plastic to try and keep some of the moisture in during the hot months, but you still lose some of it dependent on the project. For larger projects, we tried to order or pick up what we could use and install without leaving a large stack laying around.

• srercrcr
    14 years ago

The statement that cedar on a horizontal plane doesn't hold paint is ridiculus. I have sanded Western Red cedar trim all over my house, including porch railings and deck railings. Going on 14 years now too.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• fnmroberts
    14 years ago

brian 2412

I'm sorry you are getting conflicting information and it continues here.

I don't reside in the climate where you live or where srercrcr is from. I'm upper midwest. I can only say that when I initially built my small cedar egress deck I primed and painted it. The paint lastet about 2 seasons, then it required annual scraping and touch-up. The local paint store is who advised me that paint, used exterior, does not hold up on horizontal surfaces. I suspect if you visit the paint forum and ask, some of the pros there will give you similar advise.

Finally last year I sanded the paint off and applied a solid oil-based stain. It looks and goes on like paint and I suspect srercrcr may have this since it is 14 years old.

Check with some local professionals for advise. Hope your build goes well - enjoy the pergola.

• srercrcr
    14 years ago

I used Pittsburg Paint primer and PP Manor Hall paint...not cheap but truly one coat (over primer). The only issue I have with the railings is they show dirt, but when wiped off with a wash glove and water, they return to "like new". If the wood being painted has too much moisture in it, I suspect there could be a bonding issue.

• brian2412
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the tips all!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths