Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lydia1959

Correct Deck vs. Timber Tech

lydia1959
15 years ago

We started getting bids today for a room addition plus a small deck and stairs. The contractor says he uses Timber Tech and claims it about the same as Correct Deck. I have read many very good reviews (here and at other forums)of Correct Deck and that is what I 'thought' I wanted.

Should I insist on the Correct Deck or just go with the Timber Tech since that is what the contractor uses? Which is the better product? TIA

Comments (9)

• dennisgli
    15 years ago

Both make more than one product. Which two are you comparing?

• lydia1959
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The Correct Deck CX and I don't know which Timber Tech product he was talking about. He did say he didn't like to use the TT railings.. because they sometimes warped (I think that is what he said anyhow)? He suggested white vinyl for the railings, which I definately do not want.

• dennisgli
    15 years ago

I think TimberTech XLM is comparable to the CorrectDeck CX - but TimberTech makes other products so check with your contractor. I looked at both when I had my deck installed. I liked the look of the CX sightly better but my contractor had bad experience with CorrectDeck in the past - and a local lumber yard had the XLM in stock at a good price so I went with that.

My deck doesn't have a railing so I can't help you with that. Both do have hidden fastener systems and 12inch trim boards available.

• martin_carthage
    15 years ago

imho CorrectDeck CX is the better buy. vs. XLM, it's a little more reasonably priced, has been around a little longer, and has better slip resistance esp for stairs.

• mgwfrench
    15 years ago

Whatever you use, ask FIRST if the product contains any wood flour (fine sawdust). If it does, DO... NOT... USE... IT. (Repeat this to yourself 3 times) Wood flour products fade, stain, absorb water and rot, and mold. There are other decking products that do not contain wood that are not subject to the same issues. -- Mike

• lydia1959
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mike - can you tell me if the Timbertech or the CorrectDeck have the wood flour??

• doofus
    13 years ago

What's the current wisdom on this question? We are redoing the deck this summer and are also facing the choice between the two brands.

Two different contractors bidding for the work recommended Timbertech XLM (or "twin"?) One of them said, CorrectDeck "went bancrupt" because of "quality problems", and was aqcuired by Gaf... This is a bit strange, because Consumer Reports still recommends them (they prefer plastic, but CorrectDeck CX got their top score among composite materials).

There are also products by "Veranda" (HomeDepot) and "Trexx"... Any opinions on them?

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Do Not Belive Anything Consumer Report Mag says about construstion.

Reread. Again. Write it down put it on your forehead and read it backwards.

If you want Quality manmade go with Moisture Shield,Timber Tech. J.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH