Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Home - large screen porch, what material to use?

Posted by Parkview603 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 16:09

We met with our builder to discuss our new home which we plan to start this summer. The only thing we disagreed about was our back porch - it is long and will be screened. We will also have a walkout basement below it. We don't know what material to use...should we do concrete (maybe stamped??) or some sort of composite? We have 2 small children so low maintenance is a plus. But we have to be mindful of the costs, obviously. We live in Western Kentucky with humid summers and climate changes in all four seasons.

Here is our floorplan.

I will share a photo in the next post.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Home - large screen porch, what material to use?

GBB! I know Western Ky well - great place.

We just had this discussion as well and we are going with T&G Trex for our screened porch. It wasn't that much more than treated lumber, and the maintenance-free part of it (plus it looks great) was too much to resist. We plan to use our porch extensively, plus we have kids, and I don't want little feet to end up with splinters from real lumber. The T&G also means we don't have to screen the underside.

o

Right up till the mildew gets started on the Trex.

o

Yes as brick pointed out and the T&G means that there is less place to wash off the cleaner from the mildew!

o

Thanks for your input, dBrad!

Brickeyee and millworkman - what do you suggest as an alternative??

o

I am using Azec T&G porch floor, Silver Oak for my screened porch. This home is very buggy, near the shore, and is extremely humid. We have numerous insects and gnats in the summer. It might be overkill, but I am also screening under the floor.

In my reading and in talking to the local Azec distributor, their product is supp to be clean up easily and because it is all plastic, mold and mildew should not be a problem. We shall see. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here