Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I tie in these different roof lines?

Posted by anncarolyn (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 27, 12 at 15:56

Attached is a picture of the back of my house. I want to add a roof over my patio but I have two different roof lines the would have to be tied in somehow. Does anyone have any ideas? I really want to be able to visualize what it will look like before getting someone to build it. Any suggestion or pictures or drawings would REALLY help me. Thank you so much.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I tie in these different roof lines?

This is a case where hiring a designer is money well spent. I know when I work on a project like this I'll do a full 3D computer model of the house and the proposed modifications so we're all on the same page. I don't know what part of the country you're in but you may want to turn to the Google to find someone local (I wouldn't use a random online design house because I'd lean towards someone who 1) can come out and physically measure and 2) is familiar with not just local snow loads but the foibles of your local inspectors)

You have a tough one. Just glancing at it, I can say while you may be able to extend the roof on the right and return it back at the gable, it's going to be visually very heavy. Definitely worth a chat with a local designer or independent architect.

o
RE: How can I tie in these different roof lines?

Thank you Marcinde. You are probably correct in the route I need to go. I live in the Lexington, Ky. area and have no idea of a good design team but will certainly try to find one.

AnnCarolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here