Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meredithb1_gw

Trex decking problems

meredithb1
15 years ago

Hi All,

Do you have a deck made with Trex wood-alternative material?

Trex lost a lawsuit a few years ago because their deck materials didnÂt stand up as advertised. Now, other homeowners are seeing their Trex decks rot, warp and fall apart.

I work with a law firm that filed a lawsuit against Trex for misrepresenting their materials and then failing to help homeowners with repair costs. The suit represents everyone who has a deck made from Trex materials and are experiencing rot, warp or degrading of any kind. Anyone whoÂs experienced problems since 2004 can join. ItÂs worth checking out.

You can learn more about the case by visiting the Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro website and selecting Trex Company under the list of Featured Cases.

Comments (9)

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    15 years ago

Thanks but we had a Trex deck for four years and it pretty much looks as good as the day we installed it.

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

I think it's highly dependent on where you live. The problem seems to be in areas where mold issues are a concern. I'd be hesitant to use it here in the mojave desert not because of mold, but the dry heat and plastics dont dance too well. Environmentalists claim plastic milk jugs take hundreds of years to deteriorate... set one out for a couple of mojave summers and it will be toast.

• dgbehrends
    15 years ago

Check out what Mr. Deck has to say about Trex
    http://www.mrdeck.com/products_files/Plank_Comparisons.htm#Trex

• john_hyatt
    15 years ago

I really like the Robert,great work and a total stand up Guy. No one but him could get away with all that. J.

• mgwfrench
    15 years ago

Read about the class action lawsuit against Trex at http://www.composite-decks.com/Trex-lawsuit/Trex-class-action-suit.htm. Then avoid it like the plague. In fact, avoid ANY composite that contains wood flour (very fine sawdust). It absorbs water, rots, fades terribly, stains, and molds. In short, it'll look like leprosy in about 3 years. There are products out there that contain no wood flour. Good luck. -- Mike

• taras1
    10 years ago

Trex Composite Decking has turned black mold.
    I called trex and filed in there warranty dept. sent pict. also.
    Told to clean it with certain product and have used it before did nothing. Did it 2 more times on part of the deck and the dirt came off but the black mold looks darker now did not budge. Also tried scrubbing it didn't do much at all.
    Trex told me even though they have emailed me regarding my pict. after I filled out form and now said they can't find my case.

Is there a class action against Trex?
    Anyone know how to file for it?

I replaced my wood deck with Trex being told only hose it down. Then that is all I should be doing.
    They should have figured out something regarding a mold problem before selling this item advertise as only hose it down.
    Maybe the composit and wood together holds moisture and maybe that is why there is a mold problem.
    The new trex now has changed there is something in it to help with the mold problem.

That shows there was a problem and something should of originally been added into the Trex to help with mold.
    Therefore they should really be responsible for replacing the inferior trex decking with the newer one.
    Trex was expensive when It was pruchased and installed by a deck co.
    I should not have to do this work 2 times a year.
    I should not have to pay for ilumpic cleaner and penifin also as Trex said I should use after getting off the black mold that is not coming off, I tried to scrub it also.
    Therefore I can't even use the Penifin.
    I should not have to on my hands and knees brush on the cleanser being close to the mold.
    I changed over to Trex in this area only to not have more work.
    I do not want to get this cleanser or mold into my pool which the Trex is around it.
    I was told to brush this on and have asthma. I also get ulcerations on my fingers and not supposed to be using these items and not supposed to wear gloves.
    I have other medical conditions which makes me not supposed to be doing this.
    Trex gives people a run around instead of doing the correct thing.

• 1tacksam1
    6 years ago

My deck was installed in 2005 and over the years I have used a composite wood deck cleaner to get rid of dark spots (now I know it's mold).

After cleaning my deck last summer, I went back to the store and told the salesman that it almost seems like the areas I cleaner were actually darker than before.

This year, part of my deck is buckling and causing a safety issue. The space between the boards is shrinking and, it is as if the boards are swelling.

My deck is 22' x 52' so I have places where my boards meet other boards. The edges of the boards are curling and the boards are no longer straight, but warped-looking.

I see there was a class action suit a few years ago but I didn't experience a notice problem that concerned me until now. Does anyone have any suggestions I what I can do to remedy these problems? My problems are mold and moisture absorption on my Trex Rhino 2000 deck.

Thank you!

• hoozyer
    2 years ago

Did you get any resolution to your issue?