Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Choosing post and rail color for White House

Posted by jyount (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 12:57

Is it ever acceptable to use wood tone porch posts and railings on a White House? The house in question is a very small, simple farm house with white vinyl siding. It has a new grey metal roof. I'm looking for very low maintenance and cost - nobody lives in the house regularly. The few times per year we are there I don't want to spend my time cleaning the porch railings. That is my fear if I choose white. It is in a very humid area of the country and is rather shady. Sure mildew will be an issue. So how will it look if I add cedar posts and railings to a house with white vinyl siding? Will it be hideous?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Choosing post and rail color for White House

A little color contrast is fine. Problem is tying in color with something else in vicinity e.g. window trim or window shutters. Would look odd if absolutely everything were white and railings/posts were different. .

Somewhat concerned about cedar. Had a deck & railings from Cedar when house purchased. Posts were so rotted that I could push bare thumb through posts. Eventually, a board gave when I stepped on it and I concluded I needed to redo the whole deck.. Cedar heartwood is rot resistant, but nearly impossible to get true heartwood( need old growth timber). Most cedar sold is neither insect nor mold resistant. You would have to stain it to protect it. In addition, cedar is relatively soft. If you want wood, it would be cheaper and longer lasting to use pressure treated wood and a cedar color staim--still needs restaining every now and then.
Vinyl railngs are also a possibility. Not sure about degree of resistance to mildew.
Aluminum railings would be extremely low maintenance and easier to install, but not achieve your wood tone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here