Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quikrete in cold weather

Posted by front (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 31, 07 at 12:04

I am building a fence, and I put half of the posts up in cold weather. The holes went down 26 inches. I mixed the concrete when the weather was about 50 degrees, but it dropped down to around 29 degrees that night. Will that screw up the curing process of the concrete? Should I let it sit a few more days?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quikrete in cold weather

How long from pour to cold temp?
As long as the ground was not frozen already you may be OK sonce the earth is a pretty good insulator and concert generates heat as it cures.
If you have amy more holes, insulate the top of the concrete right after pouring.
A few inches of dirt, or even some straw and a piece of plastic will hold enough heat to prevent freezing in the top layer.
On big pours calcium chloride is added to release extra heat and prevent freezing. The effect on strength is pretty minimal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here