Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmcgowan35

Seeking Front Porch Pictures / Ideas

chicagoans
14 years ago

I would love to get some ideas of different styles of front porches, and have found very limited choices using Google. This site has a nice photo gallery for kitchens and I'd love something similar for front porches. (I checked the 'decks' gallery but that doesn't help. And there's some odd stuff in there: bedroom furniture, toilet seats? huh?)

We have a center-entry Georgian style home with a front porch that is maybe 6' or 7' wide. I'd like to replace it with a porch that goes across the whole front of the house, but I don't want just a plain straight across porch. I'd like something raised and brought forward in the middle section by the door (we have room) but can't find any pictures. Also, there may be some styles and ideas that I haven't thought of, e.g. column styles, roof line, etc.

Any helpful links?

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• srercrcr
    14 years ago

For what it's worth here's a pic of my house/porch, which is 10' deep, the protruding railing is a little diff .......

Here is a link that might be useful:

• chicagoans
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lovely house! Thank you for posting the link. 10' is a nice depth - plenty of room for seating.

• cs6000
    14 years ago

Trying to put up a picture of ours, Hope it will work. I really liked that one of srercrcr, very nice.
    This porch will have railings later, etc. Still working on things. Its 8 ft deep, on an 18 inch concrete stemwall/slab, for budget reasons.

• wags_in_the_peg
    14 years ago

here's a porch we added

• wags_in_the_peg
    14 years ago

still trying to figure out this posting picture thing. After this pic was taken we added red house #'s and mailbox to match dormer and some black eavestrough.

• gopintos
    14 years ago

Mine isnt finished yet. Our front will be two partial stone columns, the rest will be white.

The other columns will be wrapped white with white rail.

I havent decided what color for the front door yet.

hth

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• chicagoans
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everybody! wags - what a great transformation! I love how your house looks now. gopintos - wow, I envy your space!

• wags_in_the_peg
    14 years ago

thanks, I designed it but didn't build it - made a few mistakes that I'd change if I was to do it again.

• jdm_56
    14 years ago

When my wife and I decided to add a covered front porch to our existing house, I found this web site that is geared to DIY-ers, and has some nice pictures of their products on actual porches that gave us some good ideas. In addition, I purchased their book on porch design that gave me some good ideas. We used a contractor to build ours.

Good luck with your porch project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Woodworks

• PRO
    Skonovd Ranch
    14 years ago

srercrcr, Gosh you have some wonder oak? trees and mature landscaping. I really like your deck with the cutout for the tree. It looks like you tried not to take down any trees. We did the same on our build. We built around some large existing trees. Some people thought we were nuts but now that the house is getting closer to being finished our friends have changed their minds. I am so anxious to begin the landscaping. Cheers! Andrea

• srercrcr
    14 years ago

Andrea, yes the trees are great. Here in the hot Texas sun they provide shade for the deck (sans a roof) and the yard isn't over-hot. The downside is I have to blow the deck off during leaf-fall.

• yardmom
    14 years ago

When you put on a front porch rail or deck rail, don't forget to leave clearance for leaf blowing if you have leaves near by.

• jessicaharwell
    14 years ago

I love my front porch! It is the ideal place for my family and I to relax and unwind. I am a huge fan of porch swings! In my opinion, a porch is just not complete without one! I actually just purchased a new one from backyardcity.com. They had low prices and free shipping on lots of swings so you might want to check them out. I also think that plants are a beautiful addition. Seasonal flower can really add a beautiful touch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Porch Swings