Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mini-deck with 2x?

Posted by romerjt (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 29, 11 at 9:46

I'm planning a mini-deck 4'x 8' off a small porch (which is the primary entrance to the house). I'm thinking I could make the PT structure using 2x6s. Comments?

I'm going to use composite for the decking. Seeing as there will not be more than one person at time (on the right side 4x4 in front of the door) on the mini-deck I'm thinking I do not need 4'deep concrete footings as I would on a full size deck here in NY and I would just dig down a foot or so and rest the short posts on gravel. Comments?

My concern is that I've built a small 2x3 planter with legs that will sit on the left side that will have about 18" of dirt in it and wondering if that will be problem. Comments?

thanks, jerry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mini-deck with 2x?

all post holes should go beneath the frost line for any project as the ground doesn't kknow or care about the size of the project.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here