Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ricksample

Building a gable roof over our deck. A couple questions

ricksample
9 years ago

HI Everyone,
I'm getting ready to build a roof over my deck here in about 8 weeks. I have some building experience... I finished my basement myself 2 years ago plus I have some building experience in other fields

I have 6 year old two story house with a 16' wide x 13 long deck. The back of the two story house is completely flat, I'm looking to build a gable roof that attaches to the house.

Here's my basic plan:
Poor concrete footers, attach two 6x6 vertical beams to these footers. Then I'm going to attach some 2x10x16 joists to these beams then run them to the back of the house.

I have 2 questions so far:
1. How do I tie these beams into the house? Do I just attach some joists hangers to the existing band joist or do I actually need to have these 2x10x16 joists sitting on something before I attach them to the house? My concern is that the existing band joists look awful high as you can see in the photo

2. What would I use to keep the water out of the house where the new roof meets the back of the house?

3. Do I need to use all pressure treated wood including plywood for the roof and the roof joists itself? The bottom of the roof won't be enclosed... so my concern is that dew, steam from hot tub, etc would get to the underside of the roof.

Attached is a picture of the house when it was built (before the deck)

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting