Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding porch to existing roof

Posted by tnladyhillbilly (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 26, 07 at 0:58

I am building a home and had trusses built for the main portion of the home but will be stick building the front porch. I have designed and built the home to the point of dry in and roofing but cant find any info on how to construct the front porch roof. This must be done before I can put the shingles on the roof. The porch is 16ft long and 8ft wide.The pitch on the main roof is 6/12. The porch will be gabled on the 16ft outer edge. The home is a one story ranch style. The main roof has been trussed with sheathing and rolled roofing paper applied.
Does anyone have information or a website addy or a book suggestion that would tell me how to go about adding the porch onto the already sheathed main roof?
Something with a diagram or very detailed description would be great.
Thanks, Sheila

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding porch to existing roof

Do you have a framing carpenter or are you doing this yourself? A framer will be intimate with the job at hand.
If the gabled end on the porch is at a right angle to the existing ridge on your home all you'll have to do is determine the ridge height and bring it back level to the existing decking from your last two commons. Block between the house commons beneath the decking and fasten when attaching the ridge and the jacks. Once completed you'll end up with valleys on either side. Then paper, flash, and shingle.
I'm sure at Home Depot or Lowe's you can find a book on framing. Cutting rafters is simply basic Geometry.

See ya,
Kelly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here