Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kettlecorn_gw

Do I need to compact the dirt to fill in a pool?

kettlecorn
11 years ago

We got the pool deck and lining demoed and we're in the middle of hauling everything away. The pool is full with some dirt, twigs and a bunch of concrete from the deck. I'm wondering if it's mandatory to compact the dirt. I know people that will bring dirt literally to my doorstep for a delivery charge and I'm guessing I would need at least 30-40 cu yards. If I put in some time and sweat I can move the dirt from my drive way to the backyard and dump it all into the pool area.
Question is, do I need to hire someone professional to get a bobcat or power compactor to compact the dirt? It is the backyard. I don't have any plans to build on it and the quote we got was around $4000 to bring the dirt and do all the compaction, etc. which is a bit steep. We can save little bit every month to do this in a few years but if I move the dirt myself and the dirt will settle on it's own in a few years, that's $4000 saved for me on a tight financial situation.

For someone on a tight budget who can't afford to hire someone to work a bobcat for 14 hours minimum at their hourly service rate, what are my options? Square foot is probably 1500 sq ft. give or take.

ANY help appreciated, I'm young and don't have much experience with construction, demo, etc. as I was never taught this stuff but I love it and am learning quite fast.

Comments (6)