Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mazzy1_gw

My PB didn't follow the plan & I got wrong dimensions, what to do

mazzy1
13 years ago

Hi every one,

Please check my other post for spool plan & photos.

We just got the gunite done last week, I was taking measurements then I found that the width is 18" less than the plan (9'8" instead of 11'4") at another point the difference was almost 2 feet less.

It's already a small spool but that's the maximum we can go in my small backyard, now it's even smaller...

Any advice please

Thanks

Comments (9)

• mazzy1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

here is the plan & a photo of what we got

• just-a-pb
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear about that.
    The widest dim I see on the plan is 10' 10". Though that would still be quite a difference of over 1'.
    At this point you either accept it and get what you can out of the builder, (theres that control system you were looking for) or have them demo it out and start over. A few inches is one thing, but that is ridiculous.

• rice_rocket
    13 years ago

I wonder if they had to steer clear of the gas line. In any case, that's quite a bit off-spec.

• mazzy1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We modified the plan a little to get 11'4" as the widest part (using the 6" property line) also the depth is 48"-54" under the water fall.
    I'm using another guy for the plumbing & electrical,
    It has nothing with the gas line, The gas line can move closer to the property
    It's too confusing...

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

"I wonder if they had to steer clear of the gas line. In any case, that's quite a bit off-spec."

It really doesn't matter, since mazzy should have been invited to the party, when it came to make any significant changes. After all its his/her name on the check.

• dogue_lover
    13 years ago

We had similiar issues with out pool build. Our pool was 1' short only 37' should have been 38' and our width was short by 1.5' 13 instead of 14.5' specified on plan. If I remember correctly the builder was aloud by CSLB to be "off" on dimensions tollerance by 10% and that was supposed to be acceptable. The biggest kicker in our build was that pool was actually located 4 feet farther east and 6 feet farther to north that was stated on our plan. However when legal battles arose, pool builder had yellow slip of paper where I had signed off on location approval. I visually watched them measure for 2-3 hours with lasers and tape measures ect. and I then I had to sign off on spraypainted diagram in the yard. In the end it didnt matter as I was held accountable for signing off on build location. Even though my pool is slightly off on length/width the biggest issue we had was it being in wrong location as well as being 12 degree askew from where it was originally on building plan. It floored me that the owner , not the builder is held accountable for making sure a pool is built in the right location. I assumed that a builder with 30 years experience could get this part right. Don't ever assume as we all know what happens after.

Being 1 ft. short on length and 1.5 ft. on width really wasn't a big deal, but when pool was placed 12 degrees askew, we were not able to complete concrete decking around the pool as stated on the plan or my pooldeck would have extended 5-6 ft. into side neighbors yard.

At this point in your build , I hardly think your builder will rip out and start over? I would just deal with it and maybe he can "compensate" you in other areas. but move on... Our build stopped for 13 months as I refused to pay my portion of the draw after gunite and PB issued lein on my property as well as initiated lawsuit. In the end builder lost the lawsuit and I was given a cash settlement to go on with and continue build with another builder. However, even though we were compensated , we were without use of our backyard for 13 months which is not easy with 2 large dogs and 2 young children. Even after receiving settlement, I did not have enough cash to continue build exactly as we had envisioned on original plan.. The only parties that win in litigation are the attorneys as they were both paid handsomely.
    Do whatever is possible to continue your project as you dont want your family to be without use of the yard cause litigation takes forever..

• mazzy1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your input Dogue lover,

I'm sorry you faced the same problem, but certainly I don't want to go through all what you've been through
    You are totally right,
    "The only parties that win in litigation are the attorneys as they were both paid handsomely.
    Do whatever is possible to continue your project as you don�t want your family to be without use of the yard cause litigation takes forever.."

Thanks a lot for the advice & wish you all the best

• dogue_lover
    13 years ago

Mazzy.. thanks... thank God our project was finished 4 years ago. It ended up being 25K over budget and a 17 month long project from the start of dig till completion. In the end, it was completed as close as possible to our original specifications. You soon forget the headache and aggravation when the warm summers roll around and your sitting poolside with a cold one in your new yard.

• brentr_gw
    13 years ago

Pics looks great. There is probably nothing you can do about the size of your spool, ours did not come out exactly as we wanted it in regards to dimensions, however the only thing we wished is to have more paver area for entertaining. Trust me your spool is plenty big for all to enjoy.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz