Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tricel_gw

Can Colorlogic lights be used with the Itellitouch system?

tricel
17 years ago

We are at the end of our pool construction, which has gone amazingly well. We actually had to slow down the PB because construction on our new home hit a few snags.

When we started planning our pool, we selected the Colorlogic lights with the Aqualogic system. Recently, I found this pool forum and one other and have become very interested in the Intelliflo pump. According to Pentair, the pump isn't compatable with the Aqualogic system. I would have to get the Intellitouch or Easy Touch system. This is fine, I can still make a change there. My problem is that we already have our Colorlogic lights installed (they are hard wired) and I can't seem to get anyone from Goldline (maker of aqualogic) to tell me if all the functions of the lights will work with Intellitouch. According to Pentair, they claim they can work everything electrical. I want to be able to use my lights (2 pool, 1 spa) to their full capability, not just turn them on and off. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of this or know of anyone who has?

Thanks,

Trish

Comments (22)

• bubbapool
    17 years ago

Just finished our install, with Colorlogic lights being run by a Jandy controller. Works fine.

The Colorlogic lights change programs by turning them on and off within a certain time frame. Without looking, it's something like this:

1-10 second delay = next program
    11-14 second delay = reset to program #1
    More than 14 seconds = 10 seconds of white light, followed by last program.

Or something like that.

In any event, you should have a free button or two on your controller that you can turn the lights on and off with. Ours is set up on two different buttons, so there's no way to get them *exactly* synced up, although I'm going to try using a 'timed' event using the software. Might work. We're looking into possibly wiring them to one switch, so they're always synced - however, we'll lose the ability to run one at a time. Another option would be to have one combined switch, as well as the separate switches - but I don't think I'm brave enough to risk sending too much current to them. They're expensive!

I'm not too worried about having them sync perfectly - the programs that would need that go so fast that they make me nervous! :) And I kind of like having them a couple of seconds out of sync, it adds a kind of relaxing 'flow' to things. Ask me in a year if I still think so!

I don't know if there's a "Hayward Controller" that would allow you to select programs individually - but the way we've got it wired up works for us.

How's that? BTW, you can download the instructions for the controller, don't have the link right now.

And we love the lights.

• jennifer_in_clyde
    17 years ago

Ours runs most of the programs - the only real problem being that the colors (names) pre-programmed in the Intellitouch don't correspond exactly to the Colorlogic lights. We're still working out what eached named color actually results in when we select it. But most of the light shows etc work fine and we've gotten our lights to synch up no problem.

I think it is slightly off optimal - but still a satisfactory result.

• tricel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you so much for your response. This is what I wanted to hear.

• tricel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

jennifer, If we go with the intellitouch or easy touch, I may need info on how you were able to sinc the lights.

• jennifer_in_clyde
    17 years ago

tricel - wish I could offer you help - but we had a LOT of equipment problems (all Pentair except the lights)...and our Pentair rep finally had to come out to get it all to talk to each other - it was a little bit of a hassle to get everything working, but the guy we worked with was super helpful!

• fl-waterbug
    17 years ago

I have the IntelliTouch (I have all Pentair products except spa heater). I am impressed with the level of programming available through the IntelliTouch. You can setup a macro to turn on and/or off multiple items with just one button. For example, program "Party" to turn on pool and spa, water falls, adjust light colors, set spa temp, etc. It's pretty neat. I have not had any problems with equipment so far but I did have to spend a lot of time reading, and rereading the manual. I'm thinking about replacing my 2HP pool pump with the IntelliFlo pump. I hear it really works well and saves money. Let us know how you like it.
    Good luck and enjoy your pool.

• jmporter
    17 years ago

tricel and fl-waterbug,

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I wanted to provide some feedback on the Intelliflo pump.

We have the Intelliflo pump connected to an Intellitouch control system. While our pool has only been in operation for a month, up to this point in time I have been very pleased with the operation of the pump.

Having the ability to change the pump flow rates from 0 to 130gpm to meet the needs of your various pool/spa configurations is great. I have the pump set to run about 40gpm while we are in the filter mode. When we switch over to the spa mode it is programmed to jump to 100 gpm. Same for the water features.

Having never been a pool owner in the past, I really have nothing to compare this pump too. But I will say that our pool builder has said that this is the quietest pump he has heard.

One thing you may want to check on. I think to fully take advantage of the pump's features you need to have the Intellitouch system vs. the Easytouch system. The Intellitouch has the capability to fully communicate with the pump and change the various pump parameters.

One other note...This pump is still relatively new to the marketplace, so you may end up being an early adopter if you decide to go with one. We are in central Texas, and our pump was the first one that our builder had installed. However, this was not a problem at all as the Pentair rep came out and set everything up on the system and showed us how to use it.

• tricel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We have to decided to go with the Intelliflo 4x160 and the Easy Touch system. This was a over $1000 change order in itself. I would have liked the Intellitouch with the nicer 230v Intelliflo, but the one we chose will take care of our needs. We are building a new house on top of this and have to draw the line sometimes (at least that is what DH keeps telling me, as I roll my eyes;)

Anyone with this set-up, please feel free to tell me of your experiences.

Trish

• fl-waterbug
    17 years ago

I like the idea of setting the flow rate of the pump. My curent 2HP pump is a 2-speed, but on low it doesn't flow enough to allow the IntelliChlor to work. Therefore I run the pump on high for 6 to 8 hours a day. I think I could save money by setting the "filter" flow as low as possible to keep the IntelliChlor working then increase the flow for when the spa is in use (as jmporter mentioned).
    thanks

• jennifer_in_clyde
    17 years ago

I don't have the easy touch - but you should be happy with the 4x160...we originally installed the upgraded version (the infinite flowrate model) - and loved the adjustability and how QUIET it was - but due to our solar set up we kept having problems and needed to switch out for the 4x160 - which is still a lot quieter than the other pool pumps we've seen in action and once you get used to working in RPM instead of GPM you still have a huge amount of variablity in your flow rate and it operates very efficiently! We're really pleased - my only regret is we didn't go with the 4x160 first - since now we paid for the Intelliflo and had to downgrade - with no cost compensation (since we bought the pump directly and Pentair swapped it out for us and couldn't do anything about the previous purchase)...

• deeker
    17 years ago

The Hayward LED lights will work with an IntelliTouch and allow the lights to operate all the funtions of the light.

The EZ Touch will only turn the Hayward lights on and off and will sync the lights but you lose all other funtions of the light.

• tricel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Deeker, Now I am worried. They will be installing my easy-touch system tomorrow. I was told by the PB and Pentair rep that this system will work my aqualogic lights. How do you know otherwise? Please inform me.

• deeker
    17 years ago

The IntelliTouch has the ability to do more with lights, light programming and sequencing of light colors than EZ Touch. For example: if you wanted all lights to come on in the 'Red" color that can be done from the IntelliTouch. It cannot be programmed for the EZ Touch. You can manually push the on/off button to go to "Red" for each light but that is a hassle.
    It is probably not to late to change to IntelliTouch. Wiring/panel are all the same but the indoor controller is different.
    Cost a little more but it is worth it in the long run.

• tricel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, I just went to the Goldline Colorlogic site and went over the owners manual. From what I could see, it is exactly as Bubbapool said above. It cycles through its features by being powered off and on. I believe there were 12 different features. I sure hope the Easy Touch can simply turn lights on and off.

• mooonman
    17 years ago

Trish,
    Were you able to operate your Colorlogic lights with your Easytouch controller, I'm looking at using the same configuration.

Richard

• tricel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I will hopefully find out next week. We had a terrible mishap when they were digging to install footers around the perimeter of our patio. Since we were hit with the eyes of 3 hurricanes in a year, we have to install rebar enforced concrete footers for a future screened patio (I personally do not want one, but DH insisted on doing the footers anyway.) When they were digging, they (the paver company) thought NOTHING of cutting the lines to our pool lights. UGHHH!!!
    We now have to have a junction box installed in order to complete the hook-up.

I will let you know the outcome.

Trish

• tricel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

mooonman,

All is working wonderfully. We have 2 pool lights and a spa light. We had the pool lights put together on one button, and the spa light has its own button. We just push the buttons on and off to go through the cycle of lights. I like when the spa is one color and the pool is another. It is a great effect. This was just done yesterday, so I haven't really had a chance to play with them (the house is just at the end of being built, CO, hopefully, in another week.)

Trish

• mooonman
    17 years ago

That's good news Trish, did you opt for the intellitouch or stay with the eztouch, I like the idea of setting up macros, but eztouch is definately ez'er on the budget.

Richard

• tricel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I went with the Easy Touch system and 4x160 intelliflo.

• mooonman
    17 years ago

Trish,

Are you using one 4x160 with your pool/spa combo...do you have any water features controlled by the 4x160 also?

Richard

• tricel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We are using the 4 x 160 for the pool/spa combo (spa has spillway) and a separate pump just for spa jets. No other water features at this time, but we are pre-plumbed for some if we want to add them in the future.

• trbizwiz
    17 years ago

sorry to jump in late here. I am O/B a pool right now, and I have the intelliflo 4x160 I also would like to run my hot tub at the same time with the same pump. My hottub is a separate self contained fiberglass unit.
    But I am wondering if the hot tub can stay hot and the pool stay cool, using the same pump and filter?

I also have #4 4x20 roof mount solar heater. I am thinking pool water to quad 100 de filter to solar heater to hot tub, with overflo plumbing back to pool. I also am having an automatic cover installed to keep heat in , and dirt and kids out.