Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leh3_gw

contractor recommendations for new inground pool

leh3
13 years ago

Home is 20 miles north of Atlantic City, New Jersey Exit 58 Garden State Parkway Tuckerton area. Looking for companies to get quotes for inground pool installation after winter. Not sure if we want gunite, one piece fiberglass or liner type. Thinking approximately 12' x 20', 4' deep throughout, rectangular. All contractor recommendations appreciated plus any additional comments welcomed.

Comments (5)

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Given I am 10 miles North, I can but before I do, the biggest thing you want to decide on is budget followed by understanding the process, and on going needs.

That size pool might lead me to think that and on ground might be a reasonable option to consider.

Scott

• leh3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the response poolguynj. Before deciding on a budget range I was hoping to get "ball park" figures for the different types of pools I listed in the original message then formulate in what direction we might move. This is going to be a birthday surprise for the wife in about 10 days. Your comment about an on ground pool is of interest although once she receives the gift I think she will be leaning strongly toward the in ground variety. But your further comments may have merit toward the final decision. Always open to any recommendations and suggestions.

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Many PBs have a minimum dollar value before they will consider digging. Spending $20K for something in ground that will get you just as wet as a $5K (including a big deck) on ground pool of the same size and depth with a lot less disruption and fewer challenges seems like good sense to me. Any pool you get helps our economy and industry. Some on ground pools can be partially buried

Please, visit some PBs or call them and ask. Watch out for the "Don't worry about that" answer because it isn't an answer.

The size of the pool you mentioned leads me to believe that there might be a space issue. Can you get a hoe and bucket loader back there?

You should also check your town's requirements for special requirements like setbacks, impervious ground cover, easements, fencing, water table concerns, etc... Talking to the township engineer beforehand will be time well spent.

I neither sell nor install new pools. I just fix and augment existing pools. This is by my choice, not because I can't. This site has some of the best builders and service pros with great ethics ever assembled. There are some in the industry, just like any other industry, that put the dollar ahead of all else. It comes up and bites homeowner at contract completion or shortly there after. We try to counter that.

Happy New Year!

Scott

• leh3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Once again thanks for the info. I did speak to the town engineer about a year ago and there appear to be no issues regarding setbacks, easements, fencing and water table concerns. Hoe & bucket loader can get to the rear yard. The pool size is something my wife has mentioned in the past that she didn't want anything to big or deep if we ever decided to purchase a pool. Once her birthday comes I'll let her read your comments and would expect the process to begin. Happy New Year to you as well and thanks again.

• womanowned
    13 years ago

PoolguyNJ is very knowledgeable. You won't go wrong using him