Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gunite slide ?

Posted by bruce_poolguy (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 15, 10 at 17:48

to all of you pool builder folks . . . I build pools myself and am having trouble with the sealer on gunite slides not lasting more than one season. What is your take on sealers / tile or some other fashion of making the slide surface last longer and also stay slippery for the kiddies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gunite slide ?

We use "penny rounds". Small penny sized tiles that come in mats. One of my clients in NY swears by this new Eco finish butI have not seen it in person yet. I am planning on a going to the Atlantic City Pool Show this year and will take a closer look at the Eco Finish then.

o

I've build five or six concrete slides in the DFW area. I've had better luck with poured concrete than gunite. Easier to finish smooth. I've tried many sealers and coatings, but had the best luck with a epoxy coating. It has lasted up to two years before needing a new coat. I also have the homeowner apply a wax coat,(floor wax), about once mounth. Seems to keep it slippery longer. For a look, reberandco.com

o

We had a Rico Rock rep on site during our pool build a few years ago...as we were talking about slides, he said for concrete slides they use the super absorbent material found in baby diapers and apply this to surface of the poured concrete when still wet. Apparently, this material is sold in bottles separately as a polymer of some sort...just google super absorbent polymer.

After 10 minutes or so, the surface of the slide is troweled smooth as the material makes for a very slippery and durable surface. Made sense to me, but I have no experience with this type of slide construction....ours is a fiberglass slide.

Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here