Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Large Fountain Issue

Not sure whether to post my question here, or over on the Ponds Forum, but since our very large fountain acts more like a pool, thought I'd start, here. We have a rather large 3-tier fountain that sits in a very large pool basis that is run by a fairly sizable submersible pump as well as a water level float that keeps the water filled at the float level. About 2 weeks ago, we noticed the water was turning grey, and their was a oil film across the top of the water, you could feel the oil in the water with your hand and see the rainbow film, as well as having an odor similar to gasoline. The water fill comes from our regular property water, and we have zero issues with our water (municipal water, smells and looks perfectly fine everywhere else in our yard and house), so that sort of leaves the pump. We know the pump has seals, and we're wondering if a seal blew in the pump? Seems like an awful lot of oil and smell just for a pump seal. I've posted photo of what the water looks like. The pond basin is about 18-24" deep, and you can't even see the bottom of the basin. This is so bizarre to me, that a little pump seal could make the water so opaque and smell so bad. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? We're draining the fountain now, and are going to try to pull the pump out of the line and take it into our pool store, but gosh, I am just perplexed that it would look this bad. We just refilled it last weekend, and this has happened a second time, within a week. Yes, we got a lot of rain water, but the rain is not causing this. It happened last week, prior to draining it (which is why we drained and refilled it).

Patty S.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists