Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poolg8tr

sos pb's , anyone???

poolg8tr
16 years ago

Warning, this is going to be long, please bear with me.

Remodeling 1979 freeform pool with spa additon which is about 1/3 inside the pool. Received call from builders assistant that there is a gas line too close to the hole for the spa and I need to call gas co to have it re-routed. Came home to find pipe not close to spa, but right through the middle. They have also not only continued to dig the spa, but have put in the rebar(?) as well. Other than that "pesky" pipe , all looks great. Gas co comes out next day and says that it is a gas main and is not a simple re-route. He sent me to engineering, that was late Friday afternoon and I was just able to leave a voice mail. The guy that did come out said that it would appear that my pool deck is in the easement and that I would need to request the easement be moved and that if, after surveys etc, it was determined that we could move the easement,m then the pipe could be moved. He had no idea what kind of costs would be involved but thought just the moving of the pipe would be no less than $2000. My neighbor tells me that he had to have his easement moved back 15 feet and that it costs him just over $5000. From what I can guess, the pipe runs pretty much along the path of any 1st choice alternative site for the spa. There is a possibility that where the diving board is now, there might be enough space, but obviously, we have to find out where everything is before we can just decide to move it and start didgging again. Did I mention that my PB has yet to come by and take a look at this.

here's my questions:

1. Am I correct in thinking that I do not want to build my spa in the easement and on top of this gas pipe?

2. Has anyone had experience getting an easement moved?

What did it cost, how long did it take etc. Do they ever get it wrong and lay pipe outside the easement?

3. If we find that there is room at the deep end, does that work to put a spa there? We now have a seat or shelf around the spa (inside the pool) so that you can easily climb out of the spa and into the pool. At the deep end, I'm thinking the kids would probably jump, and so we might not want that shelf.

4. The sticky question, who's responsible for this? My neighbor says it was the contractors job to have all utilitlies located before he started digging anywhere. I can see that the PB wouldn't have thought anything would be under the deck, but he was going to run pipes through the yard, and there could easily be something there. If they had called for a utility locate, would that heve identified this main line? Is that standard procedure, or is this just one of those "suprises" you pad your budget for?

If we can move the spa to the deep end and it doesn't compromise the function and the flow of the yard, then I suspect the PB will take care of it. If we can't figure out how to make it work or if the cost becomes too much, I think we will just scratch to spa. Who pays for the costs already spent on the spa and to close it up?

Sorry this is so drawn out, my dear husband is sitting in a deer blind about now, so I'm trying to do some ground work and have some options in mind for whatever I hear from the gas co next week.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (9)

• snookums
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

"Received call from builders assistant that there is a gas line too close to the hole for the spa and I need to call gas co to have it re-routed. Came home to find pipe not close to spa, but right through the middle. They have also not only continued to dig the spa"

There's your answer right there. They did locate it ahead of time, but either didn't communicate the information to the excavation crew or chose to ignore it.

I'd say not your responsibility, and I'd halt all payment of the cost of redoing the spa (after the gas line is moved) or moving the spa elsewhere. Your PB needs to cover that.

However, the cost of moving the line (what is paid to the gas co.) is your responsibility.

• golfgeek
    16 years ago

poolg8tr,
    PB should have called USA locate or appropriate entity for utility location before beginning work. Utility companies will locate lines that run from the source to the meter. Everything after the meter is generally home owners responsibility. Easement info usually comes up during permit process. The problem with remodels is that a lot of PB's don't get permits for remodels. Sounds like the cart got in front of the horse.
    Your responsibility, at this point, appears minimal. If you don't want to spend money to move the line then you should tell PB to move spa at his expense. Good luck.

• pools
    16 years ago

It sounds to me like the main problem is the easement. I once made a mistake on a pool renovation where I poured some decking inside the easement and was stopped by the building inspector. The homeowner wanted to leave the deck the way that we had designed and poured it, so off to the city I went. To make a long story short 9 months and about 1500.00 later I got a variance and was allowed to leave the deck where it was.

The gas company may not have the line in the easement, which could also be the case. In my experence it was still the responsibilty of the homeowner to pay for the re-route. Good luck trying to get a utility company to admit fault.

As far as the cost of the re-route that would be at the expense of the homeowner.

Moving the spa to the deep end should not compromise the pool or spa if the PB has experence in this type of renovation.

As for the gas line inside the spa I have in the past left a utility line hooked up untill after steel and some times after gunite. The reason for leaving the line is not to disrupt service until you absolutly necessary. After the line is re-routed the line can then be cut and removed.

If permits were grated by the city then many time they would have caught where the easements were.

I do not know if your PB got permits or not but if he did not, I can not say it enough if the PB does not care enough to do it right by getting the approiate permits then why do you think he would care enough to do the job right.

Hope some of this helps

• poolg8tr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input.

The PB is suggesting that if the line isn't/can't be moved, that we could go ahead with the spa in this location, push it towards the pool about a foot. This would have the pipe running through the seat area on the outside. He said as long as the pipe is surrounded by steel it would be protected and no problem. I told him I did not think that I was willing to gamble that there would never be a need to get to that pipe.
    We are not in the city limits, so I don't think permits are needed.
    Located our survey and it looks to us (husband has returned), that the pipe is a couple of feet outside the easement. Guess we'll try that route first.
    Question for POOLs, what is different about the process of adding a spa at the deep end?

The PB did come by Sat afternoon. Everything went pretty much as I anticipated. When I asked about the utility locate, he said he figured we were safe here and he looked around and didn't see any transformers etc. He is calling first thing Monday though. It never came up about cost for relocating the spa, but when I brought up the possibility that we might have to just nix it altogether, he said sure, we could close it up and I'll just charge you for the work done. I didn't comment. I figure we can cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

• pools
    16 years ago

When a spa is aded to the deep end, you just need to make sure that the common wall and the new spa is supported by extra steel that is tied into the existing pool shell to help support the new spa.

In the shallow end the common wall will rest on the old pool floor. Where as in the deep end the floor of the existing pool may be several feet away.

If one is not careful you basicly create a "hinge joint" where the old and new meet and this hinge joint may crack over time.

• poolg8tr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks pools, that makes sense. Hopefully it won't come to that. Gas company is going to re survey, our's shows the pipe is not in the easement. We'll see what they come up with.

• daisee86
    16 years ago

I had a utility easement all along the back of my yard and neither my electric or gas line were in the easement. They both ran right through the pool and both had to be rerouted at my expense. PB made it very clear that reroutes were my responsibility upfront and suspected they were going to have to be moved even before he called DIGTESS (Texas dept that handles marking utilities). PB I chose was the only of 4 that I interviewed that made this guess and made sure I was aware of the cost. When I asked the others, they had no clue. They cut my phone/cable line twice - even though it was marked the first time (apparently there is approx. 1 ft variance each side of line). Phone/cable line was still my responsibility (though phone company didn't charge to fix it) because my contract said buyer responsible for underground utilities including any re-routes. Sorry to be pessimistic, but my bet is you will have to take care of it. PB is not going to and extremely unlikely utility companies will. The easement was to run the line down the alley not for the service line that ran to my house. Good luck! Hopefully I am wrong and you will be able to have someone else deal with the cost. (By the way, I wouldn't be comfortable with the line running through my spa with steel surrounding it either.)

Re spa placement, my PB suggested closest to my backdoor as it will be most convenient to enter - even though it is a little further from the equipment.

• tresw
    16 years ago

Quote: "The PB is suggesting that if the line isn't/can't be moved, that we could go ahead with the spa in this location, push it towards the pool about a foot. This would have the pipe running through the seat area on the outside. He said as long as the pipe is surrounded by steel it would be protected and no problem."

It sounds like the spa would still be in the easement though. Do NOT build anything in an easement, it will likely get redtagged. At this point you've got to have the easement verified and marked on the ground so you know what you're dealing with. I am AMAZED that the PB did not have a line-locate done before starting excavation, this is standard procedure in all areas of the construction industry. Our PB also wanted a copy of our plat/ survey which we gladly provided, the plat will show any easements that may be on your property.

• tresw
    16 years ago

Oops, just noticed you said the line appears to be outside of the easement. As the others mentioned, that would not be too unusual. I'm an architect and have to deal with these same issues on commercial projects as well. Life would be a lot easier if utility lines were always where they were supposed to be :-) PB still should have called for a line-locate though. It can usually be done in 24-48 hours and gets rid of most guesswork.