Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pool Light Dimmer

Posted by mixman1 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 6, 10 at 13:23

I have an Easytouch 8 system and would like to be able to dim my pool lights. I know that the easytouch wont do this, but couldnt I put standard dimmers in line after the easytouch relay and just set the dimmers manually while still being able to turn them on and off with the easytouch?
Has anyone done this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pool Light Dimmer

While it's possible, the next question is what lights specifically are you trying to dim?

Scott

o

I have an infinity edge pool with 2x300 watt lights in the main pool, a 100 watt light in the catch basin, and a separately switched 100 watt light in the spa. I would like to be able to dim the spa and main pool quite a bit. Right now when the lights are on, it is so bright in the pool. I would like it to just glow. If that makes sense?

o

Sure you can use regular dimmers it's much cheaper than putting in the dimming module.

The exception would be LED lights. I heard some dimmable ones were on their way to market, but I don't think anything currently available dims.

o

Mix,
Unfortunatly you are right and they didnt include that option with the Easytouch.
Yes you can use a normal dimmer to accomplish this. You can install it before or after the contact, it doesnt care.
Just remember most dimmers are 300w or 600w. You will want to pick up a 1000w to dim the two 300's, and the 100 all at once. If you gang two dimmers in one box, the max watts also is decreased.

o

I am a pool builder and these folks are right about dimming pool lights (LED's - nope), however I use X10 systems in and around the house and yard and they work great, they turn lights on and off and dim them as well. I also use X10 to control pumps, really cool.

o

Hey Bruce, I'm curious about the x10s in this scenario. If I were to wire in an x10 dimmer for my pool lights after the Pentair EasyTouch Controller, what happens to the on/off sequence? For instance, if the EasyTouch turns it on and off, does the x10 remember that it was on before, or does it always revert to an off position after it loses power? Does it remember the dim setting or go back to bright?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here