Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daljaz

bypassing circuit board on hot tub

daljaz
14 years ago

I have an 8 year old Leisure Bay hot tub that had a lighting strike, frying the circuit board and control panel. The parts to repair were costly and we did not think the spa was worth this cost. I opened up the access panel and studied the wiring and found that all the 4 components were 110 volt. The blower, main motor, jet motor and heater were all fed out of the circuit board by heavy 110 3 wires cable. I asked an electrician friend of mine if I could use 4 switches and control each component seperately and completly bypass the circuit board. He said it could be done, so I went to work. I bought a 4 pole plastic box, and 4, 20 amp heavy duty toggle switches and wired each component seperately. The result is I now have a perfectly functioning hot tub spending less than $50 for the repair. I broke the hot feed at the switches rather than using the common, this way when the switches are off there is no power on the system. The only problem is that I could not figure out how to wire in the original heater thermostat, so consequently I use a floating pool temperature gauge and when the water reaches my comfort zone, I just switch off the heater. I retained the heavy copper ground going from each one of the units and of course have a GFI plug at the power source. Everything works fine so far, and my wife and I can now enjoy our hot tub again. Everything is fully grounded as before, so we do not worry about shock. If anyone else would like to try this simply "fix" I will be glad to send more detailed instructions.

Comments (63)

• Rack Etear
    14 years ago

Remind me to throw away the invitation to your hot tub party.

Why not just buy a cheap thermostat with a dry well, and call it a day. A pressure switch can be had for less than $35.

• howecollc
    14 years ago

IÂm assuming you would decline my party invitation out of fear that, due to my frugal nature, I would have cheap beer and no-name pretzels. It surely couldnÂt be a safety concern, as both you and I both know that a GFCI breaker makes electric shock a non-issue. Being a farmer, I take a hit 3 or 4 times a year from an electric fence and imagine that it probably hurts far worse than the few milliamps you would get before a GFCI trips. Then again, IÂve never been wet and naked when it happened.

I think the installation of my system would be just as quick and easy as yours, is far more universally adaptable, would be better within the capabilities of the OP, and would cost about a third of what you would have to spend on even the cheapest thermowell, thermostat, and high limit switch. To me, my fix just seems to be more in the spirit of the OPÂs project. If you were complaining about all the liquid-tight conduit, I only put that into the mix as overkill to alleviate any objections as to the safety of the set-up; but that got questioned anyway. In actuality, I would simply pass a length of 3 conductor 14 gauge SJT cord thru a watertight strain relief fitting in the Lexan box and bring it across the water and out from under the cover.

You are correct; a cheap pressure switch would be the way to go to prevent heater element burnout. I didnÂt realize pressure switches were so much cheaper than flow switches, and until just now looking, thought that all flow and pressure switches were low amperage, therefore requiring a contactor (the very type of thing the OP was trying to get away from in the first place). Thank you; youÂve taught me something without even meaning to.

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

GFCIs are not that fast. It's not a few milliamps @ 120 or 240. Its the potential 1-10 amp + blast that a sudden failure from shorted heater element a can cause. THAT can kill you and anyone else in the tub.

Its the excess heat that can cook you when the high limits are bypassed.

Its the law suits adding to the missery of being miserly and short sighted.

That and the cheap beer and doesn't help.

Scott

• Rack Etear
    14 years ago

That's almost like saying, "you can use vinyl tube for the break lines on your car, because you can use your emergency brake to stop if it fails"

I have no problem with being frugal, but rigging up a pelican type box to hold high voltage electricity for a hot tub that you will be sitting in, is foolish.

• goodtimesnoodlesalad
    14 years ago

And even if a GFCI breaker would clear fast enough, would you really trust your life to something assembled in the Dominican Republic (that's what it says on one I looked at)or some such place? I'm all for inventiveness and frugality, I just draw the line at sitting in water with a control circuit that has been modified. And stay away from those fences, your hair will end up looking like Carrot top's.

• howecollc
    14 years ago

Yes, GFCIs are that fast. GFCIs made to United States specifications trip in 25 milli-seconds (1/40th of a second), which is more than quick enough to prevent the heart from going into arrhythmia (the US Navy did a bunch of research on the effects of electric shock back in the 1940s; anyone whoÂs read the NEC codebook should remember this section). It wouldnÂt surprise me if in the state of NJ, where portable air tanks and hollow point bullets are outlawed in the interest of public safety, the mandated GFCI response time wasnÂt even quicker. Besides, when it comes to preventing shock from shorted heater elements; what safety mechanism beyond the GFCI and electrically grounded components does a new hot tub offer that mine does not? Residential water heaters are never GFCI protected; yet, whenÂs the last time you heard of someone being electrocuted in the shower by a shorted water heater element?

I didnÂt bypass the high limit. My setup is even better:
    -you test the water before getting in
    -119 degrees, holy crap thatÂs hot as dishwater
    -aha you say; the thermostat must have gone bad since we last used the tub
    -note to self: fix thermostat tomorrow
    -turn off the heater, add some cold water to the hot tub, get in and enjoy
    -observation to self: isnÂt this better than coming out to a tripped high limit switch and a frozen hot tub?

Cheap is subjective: IÂll be serving Budweiser in bottles and Schneiders of Wherever.

Who wants a box floating around with them in the water? The Pelican box goes out of the tub before people get in; you then use the OPÂs method of regulating the heat while youÂre in the tub. ItÂs impossible for the thermostat to get wet anyway, as the waterline never even gets close to the level of the seal on the Pelican box.

• Rack Etear
    14 years ago

I sure hope that you don't have any young children around.

• howecollc
    14 years ago

Indeed, no children. No one here but autonomous, freethinking adults.

• Rack Etear
    14 years ago

If that's what you want to call it. I'll let it be.

• huskyridor
    14 years ago

quote" That's almost like saying, "you can use vinyl tube for the break lines on your car, because you can use your emergency brake to stop if it fails"
    I have no problem with being frugal, but rigging up a pelican type box to hold high voltage electricity for a hot tub that you will be sitting in, is foolish. "quote

I'll second this reply.

I call myself practical while my wife calls me cheap. However, even in an effort to save money I will never do anything less than code compliant work at my house too.

See ya,
    Kelly

• clanch
    14 years ago

This sounds like a great way to boil water the wrong way! Remember a car battery can kill you. A HID headlight controller can kill you! Both work off 12 volts and 120 amps.

• chuck73401
    11 years ago

Hey can you tell me how you did it my email is haskinsg1@gmail.com thanks

• Michael Randazzo
    8 years ago

Can u email me for more inforMation ssstroker388@aol.com

• PRO
    Hot Tub Spa Ratings
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

True story.

Colorado vacation home. Hot tub malfunctioned and was jury-rigged to work. "Hey, just test the water with your hand before getting in". Young daughter came home late one night, rather inebriated. Threw the cover off the tub and did a little swan dive into it. Estimations were the water exceeded 160 degrees. She got an evac helicopter ride out of the deal..to a hospital...though I don't know that she survived.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure her parents would have rather had a frozen solid spa.

Another guy I know of jumped in a rigged hot tub and suffered third-degree
    burns on his entire leg below the knee.

• txladyparadise
    8 years ago

We these instructions on how to bypass the circuit board! Could you please send details to 1714 Heather Rd, Gainesville,TX 76240 Via Deann Paradise!

• jihnny smith
    8 years ago

Please cintact me on sime infirnation in how to di that with a 220 hit tub

• John Krieg
    7 years ago

I would like the instructions plz tru2romeo80@gmail.com. my hot tub is 240v

• Jesse Arwood
    7 years ago

So if u dont mind id like to get the details on the fix from you i got a chance to get a nice tub cheap with the boare fried ill kick u down some Cheddar if need b

• Cassie Thompson
    6 years ago

i would live the details on how you made it all work please keith.ralls@yahoo.com

• Jamye Massey
    3 years ago

Email the details please jdminga27@gmail.com

• Jeremiah Johnson 2
    3 years ago

fritobandito222@gmail.com

• chris tucker
    3 years ago

Could you send your instructions to me at ctucker388@yahoo.com

• HU-35810244
    3 years ago

Please send instructions to nzyd07.rado@gmail.com

• Dominic Dault
    3 years ago

Please send🙏 sn4ds@yahoo.com

• Brandon Holcomb
    3 years ago

Send plz... Bm_holcomb@yahoo.com

• Tom Powers
    3 years ago

I'm verry interested and would really like to chat with you about how you wired your hot tub I'm having the same problem with my 110v unit my email is tompowers967@gmail.

• Richard Thomas
    3 years ago

It would be greatly appreciated if you could send pics or video on how you fixed your hot tub. How you groundedvit as to not get electrocuted and pics of efi box. My email is hayman.thomas167@gmail.com. thank you. Rick

• HU-148904918
    3 years ago

Please email me more in fo.. seems I gave the same problem sometimes it goes on sometimes not. Its frustrating I just want it to go on or off. Send to nooner20038@yahoo.com

• HU-716399358
    3 years ago

Please seed me info

• Kacey Bridges
    3 years ago

Kbridges2804@gmail.com

• User45689
    3 years ago

obdurate23@yahoo.com If you are still following up with this post, I would appreciate the setup. Thanks!

• Concerned Citizen
    3 years ago

is He still responding to anyone?

• User45689
    3 years ago

Hello Concerned Citizen, No response for me, but I got an external heater with its own temperature gauge for $75 on Amazon and rewired the pump for 120V from a video on Youtube and hooked everything up bypassing the circuit board and it works great.

• Concerned Citizen
    3 years ago

Mind linking what you bought?

• William foster
    2 years ago

Please send me the details plan diagram. bf2525@gmail.com

• Lisa Ross
    2 years ago

Please send further instructions please.

• michael lee
    2 years ago

Please sir I had that same problem with my hot tub burnt components on the motherboard. Called hot tub repairman they said that it was out of date and obsolete that we would not be able to get this working again. It is really not that old and I would like to reconfigure the wiring and the components to where we are able to use a hot tub. If you would call me back and please send me your diagrams and any other information that you would have that I would need. Thank you very much it was very informative have a good day.

864-356-2979_ my name

• Jody Clancy
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Yes could you send me the info please

jodyclancy7@gmail.com

• Steven Ferretti
    last year

And I will be super grateful for any words of wisdom you may have fetti1007@gmail.com thank you

• Kendall Bachman
    last year

I was just thinking about doing this! im so happy my idea has already been done before. if you have those details id love an email, and am eternally grateful!

kendallbachman@gmail.com

• HU-879703625
    last year

Could you please also end me the instructions? After 3 circuit boards and 4 topside contollers I am convinced this is how spa companies make their profits. Much obliged! douglasvaught@mac.com

• HU-371163655
    last year

Can you send me the details for the fix you did on your spa arthurjeff7782@gmail.com

• April Fiorito
    11 months ago

More details please. A spa guy came out and said our control panel is fried and it would be outrages to repair. we just want our spa back. this sounds like it would work for ours too.

• HU-826609274
    11 months ago

Hello, I am in the same boat as you and plan to use a 220v pool timer to run the low speed pump and heater probably an hour a day or as needed to maintain desired temp, and installing a water tight switch in a box on the outside of the tub for the high speed jets. My question is the heater its a remote 3 wire energy saver heater 4k which is 220v the wire colors are Blue, Yellow and Brown any idea what each color is for? I am guessing Blue and yellow are power legs, while brown is a common?

• jimwhitley
    9 months ago

thanks for the information. i would like more information or even diagrams drawings to help me.

i'm experienced at wiring 110 and some 220. i have a seven seas hot about 10 yrs. old. Thanks, jim

704 202 7260 or whitleyj4@yahoo.com

• HU-350669875
    7 months ago

Im having an issue with my board heater side only the rest works fine. i was wondering if i could somehow wire up the heater. instead of paying $500 foe a new board.

chaoslover13@gmail.com

• HU-350669875
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

How did you hook up the heater?

chaoslover13@gmail.com

• PRO
    Handyguyservices
    5 months ago

PLEASE SEND ME THE PLANS TY DMNO29@GMAIL.COM

• Tania
    2 months ago