Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spa hottub above ground (New England) NEWBIE

Posted by bicoastal (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 12, 10 at 1:36

anyone familiar with "Bullfrog" brand? am curious about the moveable "jetpaks" which allow different configs to be swapped out and are claimed to be more energy efficient (a relative term outdoors in winter!!)

also, generally, when not in use and in order to keep hot tub available for winter use, what kind of energy usage (some avg per 24 hrs) is likely in temps 15-40 degrees Fahrenheit

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spa hottub above ground (New England) NEWBIE

I have seen them but not worked on them.

I can't see them being significantly more energy efficient than similarly equipped, pump power wise, tubs. The biggest heat loss is at the surface. A proper fitting cover, high quality is key to locking in heat.

I do like the concept of the interchangeable backs but that would remove calf jets, something some people want or need. The packs help to reduce the number of holes in the tub, which reduces the number of gaskets to dry out. It also reduces the plumbing lines in the cabinet but outside the shell. Most tubs have lots of spray foam which serves to insulate the sides some but most importantly, holds the plumbing steady in shipping so vibrations don't knock anything loose.

Figuring out energy usage is tough. The things to consider are pump configuration, i.e. how many and how big, economy vs standard modes of operation, accessories, your usage patterns, etc...

My customers have told me in the past that the bill usually goes up between $25 to $50 per month.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here