Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spool under construction. needs help with Plaster,decking...

Posted by mazzy1 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 22, 10 at 0:21

Hi everyone,

I'm totally new for all of that & I would really appreciate any help, advice or opinions.

I started my spool construction 2 weeks ago, it's a 18" raised freeform gunite build 17'length x 10'wide & 4-4.5' deep with artificial rocky waterfalls, grotto, 8 jets distributed 26" apart at different height levels from the seating deck that's located on one side only of the spa.

The equipment to be installed is:
Pentair "Master Temp" heater(400,000 btu)
Pentair "Intelliflo" variable speed pump.(circulation/jets)
Pentair "Whisperflo" 1 1/2 horse power pump (waterfall)
Pentair Cartridge filter
Pentair salt system
Pentair color light.
Intermatic time clock.

I'm still confused about a lot of remaining details, like the plaster finish, tile to be used, decking around...
We are using the dark brown color for the rocks, three river flagstone coping & veneer stone for the outer side.
Is it ok to use a French gray plaster for this kind of spa? We are interested in dark/medium blue colors & at the same time I'm afraid the steps in gray will look so dark/cheap or may be the spool is too small to reflect this kind of dark plaster

I took care of the design & equipment but have no idea on how to finish the inside of the spa & the decking around to get the look we dream of (like a natural lake with little waterfall)

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spool under construction. needs help with Plaster,decking...

Sounds very exciting. We built a spool last year. Please post pics. See our link below, hope this helps

Here is a link that might be useful: Our new pool build in Jacksonville, FL

o

Agree with bentr - would love to see pics!

o

Thanks Brentr, you really took care of all the details & your pool/project looks awesome.
I'm still trying to find out how to post photos here.

o

Posting Photos:

Create a Photo Bucket account. It's free.

Each pic in the album will have 4 choices of code. Copy the 3rd and paste it in the message box, one pic per line. Space between each line is useful for adding descriptions.

Scott

o

Thanks Poolguynj, I got it now
I'm posting the plans now & I will post the progress as we go

spool plan

That's what we are trying to reach, just missing the grotto in this plan but it's showing the seating area on the left side only
spool plan (only missing the grotto)

o

Thanks Poolguynj, I got it now
I'm posting the plans now & I will post the progress as we go

spool plan

That's what we are trying to reach, just missing the grotto in this plan but it's showing the seating area on the left side only
spool plan (only missing the grotto)

o

Mazzi,
Congrats on your project.
Couple of comments.
You may want a third step entering the pool, thats a big leap.
Might be nice to have more seating facing the feature of the pool.
Be careful with grottos, especially in a small body of water, they are generally very loud, and you may never want it on when you are in the spool.
Lose the intermatic time clock it cant control the Inteliflo pump, or the color effects of the light.
Get an easytouch 4 with a IC20 salt combo (this saves you money). Then you can have a remote to control the waterfall,lights, colors, heat, jets, and different speeds for the pump ect. Then add a spa side remote to control the jets, lights ect from the spa.
Make sure the light is an LED not a color wheel.
You may also want a blower for the jets.
How many were you planning?

o

Hi just-a-Pb,
Thanks for your comments,
- We actually added a small 3rd step to the right corner of the 2nd step.
- Regarding the seating: it was intended to be on the left side only, for 2 reasons :
1- The seats are facing an LCD TV hanged on the opposite wall for movie nights from the spool.
2- We have kids who just enjoy jumping into the pool & playing with water toys, so no seats on the right side to give them some room to play

- The remote system is $2000 more; I didn't know that I will not be able to control the pump, heat or the light color effects without the remote. I need to ask my pool plumber about that & also about LED light. Thanks for the advice.

- What's a jet blower? I have 8 jets distributed 26" apart & at different height levels from the seat, starting from the left side of the steps & the last jet is inside the grotto under the waterfall

One last Question: with such small size, what plaster will give the deep/med. blue color without showing grey steps at the shallow end?

Thanks all

o

Mazzy,
The remote system should include the salt system for that price so you can deduct what they were charging you for the salt system.
I included a random link of what the system goes for. Now you would also need a remote, and maybe one valve actuator.
Trust me you will use this and enjoy it alot more with a remote.

Air blower adds more action to the jets, by pushing more air through them.

As far as plaster colors that is very personal and there are many different products out there so it is hard to recommend. I will say that most grays make blue, just look more gray on top steps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cost of easytouch 4

o

yes the price to have the remote system on top of the salt system will add $2000, but I think I need it now, no prob. the bbq island can wait for some time.
Here we go with some more photos of what we reached till today,

It's a lot of mess after the rain, they have to cover it as it started to rain right after the gunite was done. the cover ended down in the spool with a lot of rain

Photobucket

the left side (seating & jets)

Photobucket

the 3rd step added at the final stages (was not Planed)

Photobucket

the grotto & the water fall to be

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

will try to match the veneer stone in the fire place for the spool outer wall
Photobucket

Photobucket

we will try to match the same stamped concrete in the patio are for the whole backyard

Photobucket

equibment behind & under the waterfall rocks

Photobucket

Photobucket

full of rain water
Photobucket

o

I was taking measurements then I found that the width is 18" less than the plan (9'8" instead of 11'4") at another point the difference was almost 2 feet less.
It's already a small spool but that's the maximum we can go in my small backyard, now it's even smaller...
Any advice please
Thanks
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Pics looks great. There is probably nothing you can do about the size of your spool, ours did not come out exactly as we wanted it in regards to dimensions, however the only thing we wished is to have more paver area for entertaining. Trust me your spool is plenty big for all to enjoy.

o

Thanks Brentr,

I appreciate your positive comment.
I just hope no more problems to come, I'm trying to be flexible with a lot of errors but this width thing is what pissed me off.

Any way, I had a meeting today with my PB, we are going to resume work today, we are doing the rocks for the water fall/grotto & the steps up to the spool.

I will post photos soon

o

Thanks all for the encouraging replies.

The problem with this builder is that he is not following the plan, He doesn't carry a copy of it, he leaves it here for whoever he is sending to finish some work on the spool & even his people never check it (I've tested that with them)
So I end up with mistakes/ changes from the plan (i.e. wrong dimensions, wrong steps location, luckily I was able to correct the waterfalls miss location before the gunite was done...) & then he will try to keep going & convince me that these errors are for my good & it was intended.
I'm stuck with him now & we are going very slowly with the project as I requested to be involved with every single step we are taking.
Still waiting for the rock guy to come finish the rock work needed around the steps, water fall & grotto (10 days so far) hopefully he will come soon.

Nothing much changed in the last 2 weeks

just adding some steel to get ready for the rock guy.

Photobucket

Have a feeling the entry rocks are too big for the steps/pool size Any opinions???

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks & wish me luck

o

Nothing much, the Rock guy is here working with the waterfall, rocks & some water proof material

Photobucket

Still have the feeling these rocks are really big for the spool size, the rock guy said: wait till the steps are done & the flag stone is added
The left rock is open, ready with water supply & drainage pipe to have a planter inside the rock

Photobucket

o

Some more done, I really like the rocks now, I think they will start coloring it (brown, volcano red...) today or tomorrow.
Three river flag stone cut & ready for coping...
Give me your opinion, any ideas or comments are welcome.
Thanks & best regards,

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Wow what a difference. The grout lines could use some work though but the stone us awesome and the W/F is looking great!

Scott

o

Thanks Scott & I agree "the grout lines could use some work" they are still working on that.
Now I'm really confused, my contract with the PB has French gray plaster in it, I think I should go Pepple Tec/ Sheen...
I'm aiming the natural lagoon look, durability, soft when sitting/ standing for long time...
Any advice, good/bad experience.
Thanks in advance.

o

I agree with you. Go for a soft touch as you will be standing and sitting most of the time. We went with an aggregate with smooth pebbles and you can barely feel it.

o

Rocks are colored now & working on fixing the flagstone coping

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

some more updates,
Now we are confused about the tile, should we use BEIGE-BROWN tile to blend it with the coping stone & have a natural look or should we go with Blue-Brown/Beige tile to get some contrast with the coping stones???

Regards everyone.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Got the tile finally & getting ready for the stamped concrete decking.
Can someone help me find what colors are used in the attached concrete Photos, I'm trying to go with a Russet/ Brick Red color

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Almost done, Equipment tomorrow & hopefully next week: Staining the stamped concrete, Install the BBQ island.
The week after: furniture, landscaping & finally applying the spool finish (Ocean Blue PS I think) we will look at the samples tomorrow.
The PB didn't give me yet the $ amount for the upgrade from French gray plaster to Pepple tec or sheen. Can anyone help me estimate how much I should expect for the upgrade?

Photobucket

o

Ok, Finally got the spool finish, It was so much confusing but I think I will be glad with my choice.
It was applied yesterday, Today they will acid wash it then it's water fill timeeeeee.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

It is looking really good! We filled ours last night and it is fun to watch it finally get water. Good luck and keep the pics coming

o

Water timeeee:)

& start up procedure tomorrow (he is asking 200$ for one time brushing, vacuum & chemicals)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Awesome!
Can't wait to see pix with the waterfall in action...

o

:-)

Helpful links going forward:

Pool School: www.troublefreepools.com Best on the web that I have found. I participate there as I do here. User supported like public television is, They are closely associated with www.tftestkits.com but accept no outside advertising like Garden Web does.

Test kits: www.tftestkits.com It is very important that you learn to test your water. I can't tell you how many times the pool stores get it wrong and test strips are not accurate. They can indicate a presence but won't tell you true and accurate levels for the things you need to know.

The Pool Calculator: www.poolcalculator.com Tells you how much of what to add.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interests in any of the above links. I point my own customers there. Several contributor here are also there.

Scott

o

Thank you guys for your comments & help.
Scott: I know you are here to help not to sell & I saw a lot of your comments on other threads, I just want you to know that a lot of people here are happy that people like you are sharing real helpful opinions & experience with us.
Thanks a lot everyone.

o

@C9pilot: here are some photos for the waterfall
We really like our back-yard now. thanks all for your help/advice.
Regards,

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

That is gorgeous and I love your landscaping around it!

Wow!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here