Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdkath

San Diego Sunshine Poolbuild -- it's on!!!

sdkath
15 years ago

Hello. Yes, I am the one who posted about DH freaking out about the economy a few months back. Wheh. I guess he feels better because we signed papers yesterday for our poolbuild! Yaaaaay!! As a sign of our current economy -- they are going to start in a week! Coming to get rid of our grass and stuff on Dec 4 and doing the prelim "paint" on Friday the 5th! I cannot wait. Anyway, here are the specs from our contract. Any comments? Kath

Pool Area 709

Pool Perimiter 125

Depth 3.5-6'

Length 40, Width 10-22 (freeform)

Spa Perimiter 23

Spa Area 42, raised 15" above gazebo

15" raised beam: 42

18" raised beam: 14 (spa)

Pentair Intellichlor

Mastertemp 400,000 BTU

100% solar coverage

Pentair VS3050x2 (pool/spa + fountain/wadingpool spillway)

2HP Whisperflow for spa jets

3" piping throughout

Fastlane Swim Jet

3 SAM lights, 1 SAL light spa

2 fiberoptic bubblers in beach entry

Fiberoptic lighting in wading pool (on right)

Quartzite stone waterline and coping and deck (to match existing flagstone color)

4.5' rock waterfall

Artificial turf

Comments (56)

• Laura Ready
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So excited for you! We are doing pool school today. The plans look great!

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THanks readyami and nutbunch! I cannot wait for them to start. 2 days and counting...

Tsunami -- WOW! I can't believe how much they got done for you already. Is the equipment next?? What Quartzite stone color are you using? It looks lovely, just like the colors we would like. Also, what type of finish did you decide on for the interior?

Katherine

• tsunami
    15 years ago

Actually, the pool would probably be done by now if I had let MVP do the decking. Our pool was started on August 28 and estimated to be finished by Oct. 28. But we decided to go with a friend instead to save money. It's not his fault that it's not done yet, but rather it's our fault. It's actually a good thing, because with the delay gave me time to come up with a bunch of great ideas that should turn out nicely once it's done.

We decided to add a couple of items to the project and it kept snowballing. First a gas line for a BBQ then a firepit, etc, etc. Alot of trenching, and conduit must go in before the deck, to be done by mostly myself and a couple of friends. It's a long story that I'll get into later, but I'm the one responsible for the delay.

The equipment should be next as soon as we get the deck done, but the recent big rain has devastated my trenching and has caused another BIG delay. I'm hoping for no more rain for at least another month or more(crosses fingers).

We found a beautiful batch of quartzite at KRC. The color is Sunset Gold. When you go to choose your stone and you see something that you really love, put it on hold because the next time you go back it may be gone, and the colors differ from batch to batch.

For the interior, we contracted to go with PebbleTec Tropical Breeze, but still need to see some pools in person before we confirm.

Good luck with your pool build. We'll be looking forward to watching the progress.

• chulaman
    15 years ago

sdkath

Great design. I also will have midnight blue. With 3 pool lights the dark finish will be fine.

Have you considered upgrading the Sams&Sals to Intellibrites. At about $100 more each they will more than make up for the cost in electric savings and longer life. As you already have the intellitouch, you can control the intellibrites real easy.

I do not know what fiber system you have but you might want to consider the SAVI Note LEDS for shallow areas as they also have LED lights for the bubblers and you get color changes without mechanical wheels.

I see you will have the is10 side remote but what will you have another control for the intellitouch?

Here is a link that might be useful: Savi Note

• karenpool
    15 years ago

Hello SDKath! We are just a little ahead of you on the build (coping is in progress)and as I look at your lovely backyard, I'd like to pass on some of the lessons we've learned so far:

1. The pool dig causes some disruption to the existing yard but the real damage is done by the trenchers. MOVE ALL YOUR PLANTS BEFORE THEY COME IN! Also be prepared for damage to underground sprinklers and electrical conduit. Unless you have it mapped out, they are bound to run into and through it.

2. I see that your deep end is 6'. There are quite a few posts on this site from owners who've lamented that they didn't go deep enough. You might want to revisit those. If you can, be on-site when the gunite or shotcrete is applied to make sure you get the depths you are expecting.

3. The KRC Sunset Gold is nice, but also commonly used. If you want something a little different, take a look at Verticle Gold. The colors are rich with fantastic veins.

Good luck!

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We are digging!!!!!! Day 1 and so far so good. They said 4 weeks to shotcrete. Yipeeee.

Karenpool thank you so much for the advice and comments. We will look into all of it. Verticle Gold? Is that really a color name. Sounds too funny. :)

• karenpool
    15 years ago

Hello Sunshine Pool: It is truly the color name (at KRC anyway!) I've seen it called Quartz Gold Vertical too. You can check it out on the KRC website at: http://www.krcrock.com/products.php?PID=691

Good luck on the dig! :)

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the great link! Wonderful stone options. I like Autumn Flame and Sockeye Red too. http://www.krcrock.com/products.php?PID=665

I am trying to get a thick quartzite that will match our current Cameron Flagstone (that flakes when near water). I like the KRC website because it has nice pictures of all the different colors. We want to stay away from any grey streaks at all, which is hard to do. I can't wait to see it all in person.

Katherine

• hawkfive
    15 years ago

I'm very excited for you - glad you took the plunge! Your plans are awesome.

We're nearing the end of our build and all in all, it's been a very positive experience. We had some minor glitches along the way, and spent a little more money than we anticipated, but I think in the end it will be beautiful. Unfortunately, we have to wait until spring to be 100% complete - too cold now to plaster and install stone around spa. 25 degrees today - aagghhh - I hate the cold!!!

Although it may not be feasible, the one piece of advice I could give you is to be around as much as possible when work is being done. Good luck!

• Laura Ready
    15 years ago

Wow, so you are finally into it! I know you are bursting with excitement. We are finally finished -- all that's left is to hook up the heater, and that happens Wednesday or Thursday (supposed to storm tomorrow) That is not our PB, it is a separate gas contractor. We had pool school last week, and we are up and running. It is too cold to swim without the heater, though!

• nutbunch
    15 years ago

Wow. Your space looks so tight. Your PB must be good to work around your pretty decks! It'll be amazing when completed.

I found being nice to the dig crew (donuts, pizza, drinks) did wonders for the depth and overall dig of the pool, then everything flowed from that.

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HI there.

We are done with about a week of digging and still not done. I have never seen people take so many BREAKS! They dig for 20 minutes with the bobcat and then disappear for 2 hours to dump. UGH. Thank goodness I insisted on unlimited dig time. Otherwise we'd be paying $1000s to finish. We are about 90% done but unfortunately even Sunny San Diego can get bad weather. We have rain coming tomorrow and Tue so probably nothing will happen till mid next week. Sigh. Katherine

Spa and Baby pool on the far side:

Shallow side with beach entry:

Deep End with swim machine:

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just wanted to give everyone the update. We were supposed to have shotcrete tomorrow. Bruuuu haaaa haaa. Due to rain (yes, rain in So Cal), we have gotten NOTHING more done after the first 5 days of digging. Here are some pix. Waiting patiently for the man with the pump to show up AGAIN tomorrow! Kath

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK folks, we are moving ahead at lightning speed. The rains are gone, it is 72 and sunny, and the pool co has powered ahead. Any comments on the plumbing job? Looks like shotcrete is in a day or two (as soon as the inspection passes). Katherine

• poolguynj
    15 years ago

I might ask when do they plan to set the main drains and spa drains?

• hawkfive
    15 years ago

Wow! Your yard is so picturesque - it's going to be beautiful when it's done. Good luck to you and keep on posting pics.

• wrkinman
    15 years ago

Now that is a tight fit!

Beyond the mishap with the excavation contractor, or lack of supervision on Mission Valley's part, the excavation came out good given the challenging site.

Some comments for you on the plumbing...as you asked. My concerns are based on the long distance between the pool equipment area (on your plans) and the pool/spa project, and what you posted was included in your contract.

When using the Pentair VS3050 pumps, large plumbing is important to achieve all the energy savings possible. If the contractor does not put the necessary money in the plumbing, the advanced pump is pretty much like any other, working harder (pulling more amps) trying to force too much water through too small of pipe...causing lots of friction and/or cavitation. There is far more cost associated with plumbing (pipe diameters) versus that of different pumps. With that said, are you sure you were getting 3" plumbing throughout? Based on the posted pics, it appears as though there is not much 3" pipe, and an abundance of 1" chased return lines. The more 1" pipe on the return line, the greater the resistance in that pipe. The spa/jet suction lines appear to be either 2" and 2.5" lines, or possibly 2.5" and 3" lines...hard to tell. Check the diameter of the skimmer suction line(s) and the dedicated pool cleaner line. If I recall correctly, you were going to have a dark colored surface on the pool. Is the pool contractor going to leave all the return flow pipes white PVC? Make sure the air line (venturi) for the jets is far from any entertaining areas, etc. This line gurgles and makes noise when you are using the spa...most contractors locate this at the pool equipment.

You may want the spa link (10 function at the spa) to be moved so it does not address directly facing the house...they are not pleasing to look at. Also, I forget if you had the i9 intellitouch, but you could access the "swim" feature with the Sam lights if all conduits go back to the equipment area.

Given the likely requirement to run the plumbing under the pool because of the lack of space, you should know that most contractors would either fill that channel area with gravel or shoot it in when guniting/crete the pool. It is difficult to properly compact the soils in that area with the steel already placed, and it is in the area that appeared to be over excavated earlier. This could possibly be a weak spot in the structure if all of that is true.

It is likely to late, but you could offset some of the solar expense and unsightliness (100%) by installing a deep heat line along the bottom of the pool. This way the hot water is introduced at the bottom versus only 12" to 18" below the water level like typical pool returns.

You will have an awesome backyard when it is done. It is a great design!

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the comments! I am meeting with the PB tomorrow to go over final details before the shotcrete on Monday. I don't know the answers to your questions but I DID notice the smaller pipes throughout so I was also concerned about the noise/efficiency. If you don't mind, I am going to print out your comments and go through them one by one with the super tomorrow (Sat). Thanks!!

We also got to choose our stone today for the coping, waterline and deck. It will all be the same stone called Red Sakeye (a hard quartzite surface). I tried to get some pix but with the bright afternoon sun I am not sure I captured the essence. It has lovely gold, yellow and orange tones with even a hint of rusty red! I loved it at first sight. :) The last pictures is an example of the way we will have the stacking stones on the spillway from the spa to the pool. We wanted a more natural and rugged look instead of a very geometric spillover. So we asked for various sizes and shapes of rocks that match our current Cameron flagstone, which is too soft to use around water.

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ooops, I forgot to add the pictures:

This last picture is not the actual stone color of the spillway but more of the pattern of the rocks as they will be laid. :) TGIF! Katherine

• Rack Etear
    15 years ago

Actually a good point brought up by NJ...

All pools Must have ansi a.112.17.8-2007 suction outlets(sumps) and covers.

Basically they need to have 3 3/4 space from the top of the gunite (on the floor) to the top of the pipes coming
    through the floor. 2 1/2" in spaces not directly above the pipe.

These can be a prefabricated sumps, or field built sumps that meet the requirements of the asme/ansi a.112.17.8-2007.

This act applies to both commercial and residential pools for new construction, but only commercial pools are required to upgrade to meed these standards.

• tsunami
    15 years ago

Katherine, good choice on the stone. The Red Sockeye's gonna look great!

Racket and poolguynj, could any 2 of the 4 pipes coming out from the floor of the spa be the spa drains? If the sumps were to be built in the field, would the Pebbletec guys be the ones to do it?

• poolguynj
    15 years ago

Things I noticed too and responses to questions

1) wrkinmn hit the nail on the head when he noticed the plumbing size mismatches. This makes the speeds you use for your filter pump very important! Since the spa has a 1" return water loop and the maximum velocity for a return line's flow is about 8 feet per second in a fairly efficient system is only 21 gallons per minute. Now share flow of return water among the spa jets. Additionally, I don't think 21gpm is enough to fire the heater.

2) Only 1 skimmer?

3) Every pool I've seen built has the drain sumps in place before shotcrete/gunite day.

• wrkinman
    15 years ago

Kath:

I hope the contractor answered your questions and/or concerns, and that you are getting everything that you were promised.

Just a couple other concerns...

You may wish the spa light was not facing the house as well. In the evening/night when that light is on, aesthetically most pool contractors try to hide the source of light...and if you have a view of a canyon, you may not want the glare in your eyes when looking at the view. I would suggest it go on the spa dam wall.

Concerning the maintenance/circulation of the pool...with possibly only one skimmer, and all three return lines pushing primarily towards the house, there is likely to be many "dead" areas in the pool. These areas will be the first place that algae will grow, unless you are running the pump at a very high speed. It would be wise to either have eyeball fittings on those return lines, or possible move one to direct flow towards the wall away from the house. I am sure all the returns are on that side to cut cost in plumbing, and given the circumstances of the tight construction site.

If the quartzite stone has red veins, you should ask the rock vendor (not the contractor) if this stone is suitable for being under water...or in water enviroments. If this stone "bleeds" metal into the water, you will have staining issues later...that are not the pool contractors problem at that point.

Given you have 100% solar coverage (pool 709? + spa 60?) that will require roughly 750 to 770 sq.ft. of material on the roof, you will be required to move roughly 80 gpm to 110 gpm through the solar. This depends on what type of solar material you are using, and if it is going on a one story or two story home. I would confirm that you are having at least 2.5" plumbing to and from the stage area that is for the solar heat system. Again, this is to ensure the circulation pump is working properly, and not straining too hard trying to push too much water through a product that already adds a lot of friction to the system.

Let us know how it goes.

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, we are moving forward. I talked to the super about the piping questions and he had answers to everything. Nothing that sounded too good to me but we needed to move forward. I asked why the size of the pipes were not 3" in the drains and he said that CA regulations require it to be smaller. I don't know enough to argue about it. The returns are smaller pipes because he says that the 3" pipes are split into many smaller pipes for the returns. Again, not knowledgable to know enough to argue. These guys have a great reputation and have been building pools for 25+ years. Sooooo, I need to sit back and trust a little. I can't imagine that they really saved too much money not putting in 3" returns to every location.

So anyway, here are some pix of our shotcrete day.

• wrkinman
    15 years ago

Kath:

Hard to tell from the pictures, but does the wading pool/basin operate on the waterfall pump that also sends water to the 4.5' waterfall and (2) geysers on the runout? If so, you may wish or want a filter on that system...if the basin does not have a filtered pool return line in it.

Sorry to be a sceptic, but after further inquiry into the number of complaints listed on the contractor (Mission Valley Pools in SD, not Lake Forest...right?) through the www.bbb.com website, I feel as though you should make sure you are getting what you paid for versus what you may have been told. Regardless of the deal and items thrown in, if you were told/explained of the quality you were going to get, you should still expect it. You spent a lot of money in a difficult economy, and therefore you should be receiving great service, quality, modern plumbing techniques, and patience from the contractor with your questions/concerns.

"I asked why the size of the pipes were not 3" in the drains and he said that CA regulations require it to be smaller."
    This is a lot of smoke...the state of California is going to pass yet another requirement that makes contractors put the correct size (larger) plumbing with concern to the lengths of pipe and the pump size. Just like Title 20, the reason you have a variable speed pump now, it is all to be as efficient as possible (on electricity) to save Earths resources and of course money. But, even with the recent Title 20, it has been shown that many contractors are still using undersized plumbing with these pumps...therefore the customer is paying more for these pumps, but still do not receive the monthly savings on the electricity bill as they thought they would. Now the State is going to make another requirement so contractors must also use properly sized plumbing with these advanced pump designs. For years, many pool contractors have been installing too small of pipe...because it is an unglamorous item that makes them seem more expensive than the competition. Most people like to hear they are getting cool lights, salt sytem, free surface upgrade,etc., versus you are getting big pipes.

A picture by the proposed pool equipment placement would tell what size pipe is being used for suction and return lines. Although plumbing diameters (pipe) does not seem that important or costly, it is the most important to some of the industry. Imagine straining trying to suck water through a 100' long garden hose...with 8 to 15 elbow fittings...it would be much easier with larger diameter pipe. In addition, 3" pipe per foot is 50% more expensive than 2.5" pipe, and twice as much as 2" pipe. Just a guess, but standard (or old techniques) on a project like this would have likely 2" (maybe 2.5") skimmer suction with a 2" return to the pool, 1.5" (maybe 2") dedicated pool cleaner suction from pool, 2" (maybe 2.5") spa filter suction with 2" return to spa, 2.5" (maybe 3") jet pump suction with 2" (maybe 2.5") return to spa. Given the multi-tasking of the water feature, it may have a 2.5" (hopefully a 3") suction from the pool and then dedicated (independant) return lines to the waterfall and basin area. Hard to tell where the contractor really used much 3" pipe in the photos, but I would guess possibly on the jet pump suction line and maybe on the water feature suction line.

The superintendant is correct is saying pool return lines (the 3 skinny pipes directed towards the house) are reduced down to install multiple lines, but most do not reduce so quickly and use so much 1" on those lines. Given the approx 100' plus distance, using 3" pool return line to the pool, than multiple 1.5" returns at the pool would have helped the hydraulics of the system.

With concern to the other thread (over excavated), code for the concrete shell is 2,500 psi design mix in California. This is a rating of the formula of the concrete when wet and made at the batch plant. Per code, should your contractor use any design mix over 3,000 psi, they must get a "special inspection" with the city...meaning an on-site city inspector must be present while installing the product. If you would like to confirm what the rating "truely" is, you can request the design mix tags (or cement order) that was used on your pool from the pool contractor.

I know it is too late at this point, but at least if you research and find you did not get items/materials that you were told/proposed, it should give you some room for further items for free...or possibly some free pool maintenance.

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the detailed comments. I will post pix tonight of the piping to and from the equipment. I have them but forgot to upload them before. The trenches are still open and the electrician is there all day today. Rain is supposedly predicted for late next week (10 day forecast) so we want the trenches closed ASAP. It's hard to believe but it's 82 degrees here right now....

Anyway, I appreciate the time you took. I meet with the owner in a couple of days for the final stonework and waterfalls so I will raise all these issues and see what is up. They could tell me the sky is pink and the unicorns are going to power my pool and I would not know enough to argue with them as a layman. My advice for the next person who builds a pool with special requests for piping, etc is to get an independent inspector to come out RIGHT after plumbing and before shotcrete. I wish I did that so that I could have identified any necessary changes before it was too late. Not that I think it is not built correctly -- it's just that we were trying for more efficiency from our equipment that we probably didn't get at this point.

One more thing -- our beach entry is only 9 inches deep at the very deepest part (before it ends into the shallow end). Is this right?? They were going to make it 6" deep and I said no way. That is way too shallow. He said he did not want to make the angle too steep for the entry or else it is uncomfortable. But only 9" of water?? That seems like barely enough to put your pinky into when suntanning?

My friend goes from 0 to 15" in about 7 feet and that seems just fine. Any thoughts? Katherine

• nctal
    15 years ago

As for the beach entry - I don't have a beach, but I do have a small tanning shelf that will be 6-8" deep. I, too, thought my tanning shelf would be deeper (like 18"), but if it were going to be that deep, they'd need to put in another step to make it happen - and that would have eaten into what is already for me a smallish tanning ledge. Plus, if you're laying directly in it, you've got a good amount of water on you. I probably would have dragged a patio lounger in their anyway. I still can, but probably wouldn't - so I'm ok with the reduced depth.

• wrkinman
    15 years ago

-Katherine

I like your humor with the pink sky and unicorns :)

I agree, the contractor likely dealt with the over excavation issue properly, and the steel placement is an engineering requirement that must be "inspected" by the city...so that must be done properly as well. The fact that they used shotcrete is a plus too. It's just unfortunate that the city does not (as yet) also inspect residential plumbing diameters...as they do for commercial bodies of water. The plumbing topic is normally a difficult one for people outside of construction.

With concern to the independent plumbing inspector, most would hope that they were getting the better construction techniques with spending large amounts of money. But, with all construction, there is always ways of saving here and there to ensure a profit margin is achieved.

Concerning the beach entry, if the shelf is acting as the top step into the pool it is difficult for the contractor to "want" to make it steep...for legal reasons. Your friend has a shelf that slants (beach) with 7 feet in length, and yours does not seem to have that much length to ramp down. If it is a big deal to you and the family, you could have the contractor install/extend more steel into the recently shot ledge and shoot it further out into the pool area. This would for sure add cost however...

Did the salesman or superintendant go over this prior to the day of putting it in concrete? If not, it would appear you may have some wiggle room if you wanted to change it...

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello,

Shotcrete is done! Yipeee. We are thrilled to have it all come together. The pool looks HUGE to us now. Our beach entry is 8 feet long! It is now 12" deep (9" water depth) which we are happy with. I will this weekend spend some time walking the parts of the pool to try to visualize what it would feel like with water. It's so hard to do based on sketches and numbers. Here are the final pix once the cement trucks left (they had 3 of them alternating and it still took about 8 hours of constant "shooting" to get the concrete all in there)!

We also did the depth of our spa different then most people. You can see in the pictures that we have a very shallow depth (9" water) at the bottom right, then deeper (15" water depth) at bottom left and then 25" deep top left. I don't think they made the deepest part big enough so they are going to rework that deep 1/3 of the spa later. The reason is because we find that most everyone in my family "fights" for that top step. None of us love to be submerged in 100 degrees up to our necks. So we decided to make the depths much less than the standard so that we can stop arguing. I love being able to do our own custom thing. We also decided to make the baby pool 18" deep. That should please everyone in the family. 1/2 of the solar return lines go to the wading pool and 1/2 go to the spa, so that they end up receiving the warmer water first. This was my PBs idea and I thought it was smart. K

• wrkinman
    15 years ago

Kath:
    Looks great! The concrete stage is very exciting...you finally get to "see" the pool.

The beach entry is wider than I thought it would be on the sketch...now it looks just the right size. With the wader being 18", there will always be a spot for little ones, and big ones, to hang out in a warmer area...good idea on the PBs part.

Are the boulders (per the images) on the left and right sides of the spa going to be for climbing out of the pool to be by the spa? This would make things easy for kids to go back and forth between the two.

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We can't really get out of the pool on the spa side. It is raised bondbeam of about 15" above the normal coping so I don't think they will be able to exit on that side. They can jump in from the raised spa of course (and I am sure they will) but they will have to get out on the side of the pool closest to the house. We added a step in the middle part to help them get out. The access to the spa and gazebo is my main concern now that I see the plans in action. I am not really seeing an easy way to get back there. They will pour concrete on the very right of the plans (right of the wading pool) but I am not sure the walkway will be wide enough. They assure me that it should be about 2.5ft wide and that is enough but I have my doubts. Right now, it is extremely hard to access the spa and the back area... Then again, it's a big mess over there.

There was access designed from the back side of the pool (by the olive tree) to the spa too. We will have some additional concrete there too. But the tree is blocking the access a bit so depending on how things go, we may need to pull the tree. I love it so I really hope we don't. Otherwise, nothing exciting is happening. The electricians are working but no major visual things going on. I still need to load pix of the pipes leading back to the equipment...

Katherine

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, here are the pix of the piping to the equipment. I don't know what the brief writing stands for. We will hae 3 pumps and solar. The larger pipes in the pix are 3" and the smaller ones are 2.5". Thanks! Katherine

This last gauge is lower down and I think it is for the gas rather than the water? But what do I know?

• wrkinman
    15 years ago

Kath:

Pool looks great!
    FYI...and based on your pix...pool plumbing diameters.
    Skimmer Suction: 2.5"
    Cleaner Suction: 2"
    Pool Return: 2"
    Spa Suction: 2.5"
    Spa Return: 2"
    Venturi(air): 2"
    Jet Pump Suction: 3"
    Jet Pump Return: 2.5"
    Waterfall Suction: 3"
    Waterfall Return: 2.5"
    Geyser Return to valves: 2"
    Wader Pool Return: 2"

I did not see any solar pipes...but maybe that will be installed later.

The PB can, with the man-made rock work, build rocks on either side of the spa so kids can "climb-out" and get up to the spa...even with the raised bond beam.

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello. We are moving on to the coping work and things are looking really good. I love the stone we picked out. It is gorgeous. Not quite as orange as in these pictures... It looks even better when wet -- a deep rusty color. YUMMMMM

I am guessing the wierd neon blue is a primer for the stone that will be placed on the wall later?
    Here is to a dry week ahead so we can keep going.
    Katherine

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are some new pix. Making nice headway with 75+ degree weather all week. :) Katherine

• hawkfive
    15 years ago

Looks great! I love the stone you chose. Have you decided on the pebble finish?

• chezdeg
    15 years ago

Katherine, your pool looks gorgeous! The flagstone and the installation is the most beautiful I have ever seen. You must be getting so excited. I'm not seeing the swim jet anywhere - do you have any photos of its placement?
    -Debbie

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi there,

Thank you! It looks even better in real life! The swim jets are not in yet. They are actually not jets in the wall but the endless pools system, which everyone told me is actually a bit better since it creates a current rather than just blowing water in your face. My last post with pictures (about 2 above) the first picture shows the recess our PB created for the system to be put in. We are supposed to have coping above it to hide the system so I spoke to our PB today about that.

It looks a bit like this (from another pool):

Here is a link that might be useful: Enless Pools Website

• aquariuslady
    15 years ago

I love the fireplace!!! gorgeous....very nice addition. keep the pictures coming :-)

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love coming home from work to be surprised! Taken close to sunset -- nice progress today... Katherine

This last picture is of the space where the swim system will be.

Katherine

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A few more pix with our spillway almost done.

• aquariuslady
    15 years ago

Gorgeous raised bond beams...you must be happy.

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, looks like the stonework is done! Not sure what is next... but we are pleased. One thing: is it just me or does the spa look a little crooked?

• wrkinman
    15 years ago

Kath:
    Based on the pix, I would say yes. However, I am not sure if you are referring to the "bump" in the stacked stone that is caused by the one larger stone, or the way the right side "seems" to ramp out further.
    Do you have a shot straight in front of the spa?
    Are you still going to have the fab-rock boulders on both sides of the spa that go down into the pool water (as in the images of the pool)?

The colors in the stone are beautiful!

• sd_blarney
    15 years ago

Kath: Your setup is gorgeous. I think the spa looks "crooked" from the overhead pic because of the way the walls curve into it from either side. It is not crooked. They did a wonderful job. We finished our pool in San Diego in June and are kicking ourselves for not doing it years earlier. Enjoy!

One question: how on earth are you going to get to the spa without swimming there (i.e., with towels in one hand and a beverage in the other)?

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the comments! We are very pleased so far although there are some minor issues that need to be ironed out and we still have to have them build our fountain by the beach entry....

The spa access is not great, I have to admit. BUT, they are going to pour decking on both sides of the gazego so there will be wider paths going to the back. However, I do think it is pretty darn narrow with that olive tree in the way. I guess we will see how it works out. Also, we asked them to place a few rocks for an exit from the pool to the spa where that little bench is in the middle of the pool. That way people in the pool can climb out easily and go to the spa. I think the kids will have no problems getting to the back but my dad might be complaining a bit when he visits.

Katherine

• sd_blarney
    15 years ago

Also, sometimes it seems like it will be a tight fit, then they pour the concrete and you think, "man, I could have gotten another two feet of pool back there!" So you'll just have to see when it's done. Beautiful pool, beautiful yard. Enjoy it.

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello! Just wanted to update everyone on the progress of our pool. After a few rainy days, they have started up again. Our waterfall is (mostly) done! Here are the latest pix. This thread is getting really long too so I am thinking I might start a new thread after these pix are up. Katherine

• airborne101
    15 years ago

Since you asked, I will respond to a few things I see.
    First, yes your spa front looks crooked due to the middle front, 3 rows from bottom. Have them fix it while the masons are still on the job. It will drive you crazy visually as you sit on the patio looking out at it and the view, and it may affect water flow and sound. Not a huge deal. Also the spa looks a bit high in the rear left side, could be your pictures.
    Second, I sure hope the masons secure those boulders with more mud than shown on the rear of the waterfall since you are in Cali and on top of a hill, don't see any rebar to hold them during a shaking.
    Please, don't take offense, just trying to prevent you some future headaches, from a p'o ed hardscape contractor in Vegas who wishes guys would do their jobs right the FIRST time........ just got on here to relax after a crap day and look at gorgeous pools, which yours will be.........soon, Barb

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the comments. This thread is so long I have moved the second half of our build to a new thread called San Diego Sunshine Poolbuild Thread 2. I posted the link below. Please post comments on the new thread...

Happy swimming! Katherine

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Pool Build CONTINUED...