Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stains Below Spa Jets

Posted by steina64 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 20:46

Two of our spa jets closest to the spillway have what look like rust stains below them; none of the other spa jets or pool return nozzles have these stains. I can remove the stains but they're back within a week. FWIW, the pool and spa share the same pump, filter, heater etc. in Lake Havasu City AZ. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stains Below Spa Jets

Iron in the water is my guess. You need to test the levels of iron and calcium in addition to your alk and pH.

Scott

o

Scott - If iron and calcium are causing the stains, why aren't the other 3 spa jets and all 7 pool returns showing the same stains?

Steve

o

Without knowing how much water is passing each return, my guess is the spill jets get the most. Test and report your water results.

Scott

o

Actually, the spa jets have very little flow (valve barely open 99% of the time) compared to the pool returns; just enough for the spillway to flow.

Steve

o

With a single pump system, this is usually not the case, Steve. The return valve doesn't offer that great a granularity to allow this normally.

Scott

o

Iron & calcium both checked OK by my pool guy and Leslie's; with my hand I can barely feel any flow from the jets (just keeping the spillway going), while the returns are blasting away with no stains. I'm wondering if some re-bar is poking thru the PVC that drives the 2 affected jets, although I've noticed no leaks.

Steve

o

How do these spa jets differ from the rest? All I see is that you mention they are under the spillway. Normally a spillway is a damwall and is usually built (by default) thinner than the other walls of the spa (unfortunately). With plumbing in that dam wall as well, it has less concrete density to it, and can have weak points of coverage over plumbing and....you guessed it, rebar. It could even be as simple as tie wire holding the rebar that is out of the shotcrete and in the plaster. I've seen steel guys use tie wire to hold a spa jet in place as they steel a pool/spa. It's one of the reasons my preshotcrete inspection by my guys includes tamping down all tie wire and measureing for all shotcrete coverage over steel. Did you use a pool builder or did you go OB?

o

They're not under the spillway, they're on either side and look no different from the others except for the stains. The pool/spa and house were built in '02; we bought in '05.

Steve

o

You can determine if the stains are iron buy holding a vitamin C tablet on them for about a minute. They will go away if iron. Its been my experience that these stains are more likely to happen when the velocity of the water is slower and more frequently occur when the eyeball has been removed. Maybe its because the metal is more likely to come out of solution?

o

Metals, especially iron, comes out of solution with higher pH. The ascorbic acid of the Vitamin C tab puts it back in solution. The metal possibly being a rebar wire tie may have merit.

Scott

I

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here