Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pool Renovation Questions

Posted by gster (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 1, 11 at 19:54

We have an 80s era pool that has a few cracks in the pool deck that have migrated to the 2X6 coping tiles and have cracked them. We need to repair the pool deck by cutting out the cracks and filling and resurfacing the cut outs. We would also like to replace all of the 2X6 tiles . . . we were "blue skying" about replacing the coping tiles with coping bricks by cutting back the existing pool deck (concrete) to allow the bricks to sit flush with the existing pool deck. Not sure if this is insane or a reasonable idea . . . comments?

Also, our pool renovation company suggested that we resurface the pool by filling areas damaged when a hurricane collapsed the pool screen, applying a bond coat and applying new gem coat . . . the pool surface is pretty good considering the age . . . a little yellowing in spots but generally sound . . . should we consider an acid wash as a less expensive alternative? I don't want to do a half baked job but I am not sure I can tell between what is NEEDED versus what is NICE TO HAVE . . . As you can tell . . . money is certainly an object . . . opinions welcomed!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pool Renovation Questions

I don't know who said it first but a picture is worth a 1000 words. ;-)

Please post some pictures. Put them in a Photobucket album(it free) and use the 3rd option, one pic per line.

Scott

o
RE: Pool Renovation Questions

A quick way you can tell for yourself is how rough the plaster feels to the touch. Good plaster should be as smooth as smooth gets. If your plaster has a rough or semi-rough texture then it is time to consider a replaster.

Acid washing can be compelte to remove stains but will also make the texture worse than it is already. Plaster can last 10-15 years with proper water management but you are not going to get much more than that. You likely do need a new plaster coat but perhaps a secon opinion would be best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here