Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pfkaplan1_gw

Tumbled Travertine Pavers .. to Seal, Enhance, or Leave Alone!

pfkaplan1
12 years ago

I splurged for tumbled travertine on my pool deck and I am on the fence to enhance/seal, just seal, or just leave it natural? My pool builder subcontractor does the enhance with a bit of sealer in it for $675, which seems a bit pricey at this point (after a $44K pool which started out at $35K!). Any suggestions on whether to seal tumbled travertine or not, to color enhance it, etc and should we tackle this on our own? My husband is extremely talented in building, remodeling, flooring etc, but I don't think he did anything like this... I am willing to pay the money if theres any chance we could do damage to the stone. Thanks! PS I live in always sunny florida if that makes a difference.

Comments (19)

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

Sealers can also make it somewhat slippery. If it gets dirty, a light duty power washer makes quick work of that.

Scott

• neilaz
    12 years ago

If you are not sure you can go ahead and do it and maybe you will like it. If you don't the enhancer will fade in 6 months or so anyway. That is provided you will not be under cover.... It is very easy. Pour sealer in a bucket and dip a paint roller in it and roll it on the deck. that is it. I do my patio and front walkway as i like the enhanced look.

• thejimbar
    12 years ago

Ours is 5 years old, still looks great. Never sealed, just power wash occasionally with a little added bleach to kill any mildew. Never slippery.

• tcmdo
    12 years ago

thejimbar,

Is that stone coping? or did you use tumbled travertine as well? Is the deck tumbled travertine? I heard polished is very slippery. Thanks!

• tcmdo
    12 years ago

thejimbar,

Is that stone coping? or did you use tumbled travertine as well? Is the deck tumbled travertine? I heard polished is very slippery. Thanks!

• thejimbar
    12 years ago

Coping is Bluestone. Pavers are tumbled. Not slippery AT ALL!

• tcmdo
    12 years ago

Thanks! Where did you get your travertine?

• thejimbar
    12 years ago

GothicStone in Valley Forge, PA area. www.gothicstone.com

• neilaz
    12 years ago

Check your large local tile stores. Look for natural stone in your area. Maybe it is just Phoenix but there are dozens of places one can go to get travertine pavers.

• chiefneil
    12 years ago

I've had travertine pavers for about 5 years now. Never sealed, enhanced, or otherwise treated and they still look brand new (as you would expect from a natural stone).

My philosophy for natural materials used outdoors is to let them look like natural materials used outdoors. Saves you money and headache on maintenance too.

• gk5040
    12 years ago

I too have tumbled travertine pavers (walnut color) and live in much too sunny Florida. I enhanced my pavers. The StoneTech enhancer is also a sealer. I love the way the true beautiful colors come out when its enhanced....its what sold me on travertine. I don't prefer the chalky look. The enhancer/sealer does not make the tumbled travertine slippery. The water will bead when it rains. I am in the Tampa area and the sun fades out the enhancer in less than a year. I re-enhance every October/November. Since the sun is less strong in our winter months, it lasts nicely thru to June. Then starts to look more chalky in the hot summer months. Chalky is the best word to describe it since the stone is not faded. The surface must be dry for a few days, so its impossible to enhance it in the summer when it rains daily. I wait for 5-7 days of no rain on the surface. I do a small area 10x10 at a time. You put a light coat on with a paintbrush (thats what I use so as not to waste it), let it sit for 20 minutes and wipe off the excess. I do not recommend doing it in the middle of the day in the hot sun. You don't want the enhancer to actually dry, it becomes harder to wipe off. Its like you buff it. I just use an old towel and toss it when I am done. The enhancer lasts for several years in the areas that are not touched by the sun, so I only re-enhance the area not covered by the lanii roof. In 5 years I have only done the lanii covered area twice. I just redid it because we had to have new drains put in and i really had to scrub the stone to clean up after the workers. I use to post several years ago, I am not sure if my pool pictures are still on these threads. I love the enhanced look and it gives it a little protection.

• Stefv1
    12 years ago

My travertine supplier said that it needs to be sealed if you have a salt water system. That will wear it down a lot faster without a sealant. I don't think all sealants are that glossy and slippery. They also said that Travertine will last longer than most other natural stone options.

• vabeachdesigner
    11 years ago

Sealing the travertine pavers to prevent salt water damage is not a bad idea to be safe. However I must mention that we built a salt water pool for a client with a travertine deck about 5 years ago and there is still absolutely no damage at all. Mind you, neither the travertine pavers nor the travertine pool coping were sealed. We purchase our travertine pavers from Travertine Mart

Here is a link that might be useful: pool coping

• thejimbar
    10 years ago

7 years, still never sealed, still fine.

This post was edited by thejimbar on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 12:24

• rseif
    8 years ago

We installed travertine patio around our pool last year, and it looks great. We live in south florida and have had no sun damage to the patio. However we have a large oak tree in our backyard that slightly overhangs the patio. We noticed that the tree drops sap from a few places, and recently a brown haze has appeared on the patio underneath the tree. My husband thinks it will stain the travertine, but I wonder if pressure cleaning the patio will remove the brown haze and restore it to its natural beauty. Any thoughts from readers out there? Thanks in advance.

• C Masty
    8 years ago

Try some oxyclean powder mixed into a weed sprayer. Apply then powerwash off. I bet it will remove (safely) the sap/coloring.

I dont think the sealer is that necessary. Maybe for a saltwater pool deck that gets a lot of splashing and/or is under roof.

• cat60brac
    8 years ago

There are many videos of sealed and unsealed travertine. I recommend watching them to see what the difference is. Travertine will stain, tree sap, wine, coffee, grease or oil etc will stain. Sealed stone also resists mildew better and needs less cleaning to keep it looking great.

• L C
    6 years ago
    How is the travertine looking after 7 years now? Do you have a salt water pool?