Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chillcatjen

My experience with Diamondbrite Black Onyx

chillcatjen
13 years ago

For years now, I've been lurking around gardenweb getting all sorts of good info. So, I've finally got some of my own that might help out some fellow garden-webbers.

I recently remodeled a very weird and ancient pool. The pool was a concrete bottom with fiberglass panel sides. The bottom of the pool was painted a dark grey, the panels were painted black. It was one ugly pool, but I really did love the color of the water.

So, it's been remodeled and plastered. The PB figured black onyx would get me real close to the color we had, so that's what we went with - 100% black onyx.

The first few days it had water, it was bit alarming. It looked exactly like clear water in a black bottom pool - no where near the lovely dark teal that it was before. We brushed it (twice a day, very diligiently). The dust was black and made the water an opaque charcol grey. Not pretty.

After about 4 days, the water got clearer and it started looking like blue water again. We are still brushing and vacumming and the water is clear now and the dust is white, not black. Everyday it looks nicer. The PB says it will continue to change for a few more weeks. It's been about 10 days since the plaster went in. It's definately getting lighter.

I'm not seeing the aggregate yet, it still looks pretty flat. I'm not sure when that'll show up. We haven't put chemicals in yet. PB says the salt is going to cause a good bit of mottling. I'll be glad to see it. I had it in the old pool and it gave it a very organic, almost marble look.

I hope that's helpful to someone. If you're getting DiamondBrite Black Onyx and don't know what to expect, it could make for a bad day to see it on day 1. I'll update as things progress.

Comments (4)