Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My experience with Diamondbrite Black Onyx

Posted by chillcatjen (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 19, 10 at 18:15

For years now, I've been lurking around gardenweb getting all sorts of good info. So, I've finally got some of my own that might help out some fellow garden-webbers.

I recently remodeled a very weird and ancient pool. The pool was a concrete bottom with fiberglass panel sides. The bottom of the pool was painted a dark grey, the panels were painted black. It was one ugly pool, but I really did love the color of the water.

So, it's been remodeled and plastered. The PB figured black onyx would get me real close to the color we had, so that's what we went with - 100% black onyx.

The first few days it had water, it was bit alarming. It looked exactly like clear water in a black bottom pool - no where near the lovely dark teal that it was before. We brushed it (twice a day, very diligiently). The dust was black and made the water an opaque charcol grey. Not pretty.

After about 4 days, the water got clearer and it started looking like blue water again. We are still brushing and vacumming and the water is clear now and the dust is white, not black. Everyday it looks nicer. The PB says it will continue to change for a few more weeks. It's been about 10 days since the plaster went in. It's definately getting lighter.

I'm not seeing the aggregate yet, it still looks pretty flat. I'm not sure when that'll show up. We haven't put chemicals in yet. PB says the salt is going to cause a good bit of mottling. I'll be glad to see it. I had it in the old pool and it gave it a very organic, almost marble look.

I hope that's helpful to someone. If you're getting DiamondBrite Black Onyx and don't know what to expect, it could make for a bad day to see it on day 1. I'll update as things progress.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My experience with Diamondbrite Black Onyx

I actually am a vinyl liner builder in Spring, TX but was involved in the gunite pool arena for 15 years. I will offer a couple of comments. First of all, mottling is not caused by salt. Mottling is caused by different hydration levels of the plaster curing. If you want some real technical information, look up national pool plaster's council in google.

You should see a big change in the plaster in 48 hours, but only if the builder ordered an acid bath. Brushing diamond brite without a strong acid bath will NOT bring out the color. You need to do both. Check with Diamond Brite's website for start up information. Some builders will actually scrub the pool floor and walls with an extremely strong acid solution and then rinse thoroughly, neutralize, and drain the scrub solution out. This gives the look immediately instead of 48 hours later.

o

Update: It's been a couple of months. The pool is lovely again. It's back to the teal sort of color we had before. My experience was nothing like schmackster posted above - I suppose there's so many details, any could change the experience. There was no big change in 48 hours. It took at least a month or more for the color to come into it's own. We did have the acid bath and rinse after plaster and before putting the water in. I assumed this was standard procedure.

Mostly because of laziness, I didn't put the salt in until about 6 weeks later. I don't see any mottling - which I would be fine with, but the pool seemed to lighten up. But that may have been coincidence.

So, all in all, if you don't love the black onyx right away, hang in there. If you experience is like mine, it'll take a bit.

o

I am going through a similar situation right now - we went with the French Gray and after the acid bath it looks black!!! I'm hoping this lightens up!? Any feedback is appreciated :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here