Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New construction and afraid to ask this question

Posted by tippycanoe (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 2, 10 at 17:49

Because I'm a afraid of the answer I might get.

Our gunite pool was dug today while I was at work. Isn't the sunshelf and stairs supposed to be carved out of the dirt?

In our case we have clay and the swim-out in the deep end has been carved but there are no steps or shelf. It's just a big bowl with the one carved swim out in the deep end and notches where the skimmers are going to be.

In all the pictures of builds, I've always seen the benches, steps and shelves carved into the dirt during excavation, then rebar formed over that, then gunite.

How are they going to form my shelf and steps?? I've left a voice mail for the builder.

What should I ask him?

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New construction and afraid to ask this question

Not always.
Depending on the soil conditions, freeze thaw ect, they may shoot them in.
We never form third and 4th steps.

o

We rarely form our steps in. They typically are stacked up when they are shot in.

o

Why should you be afraid to ask your PB a question ? You shelled out a small mint on your pool he should be nothing but excited to answer your questions and thankfull that you chose him to do the project.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here