Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
obrionusa

What to do with Hot Tub Not in use for 1-2 years

obrionusa
12 years ago

I have a hot tub that I havent used for 1-2 years and it has been sitting inside. The pool place sold me on a quart of spa purge made by national chemistery. She said to add the whole bottle to the unit and run it for 30 minutes and let it sit for 24 hours. I did and it foamed up and started running over within a few minutes. Im now wondering if she knew what she was talking about. Advice please.

Comments (4)

• goyom
    12 years ago

Take careful note of the instructions and part 3. about the foaming...........

Reading the bottle instructions would have shown you part 3 as well.
    Dosage:
    One 33.9oz (1L) bottle for spas up to 1,000 gallons (3,800L)
    How to Apply:
    1. Remove cartridge filter elements
    2. With spa water temperature at 95 degrees or higher, add entire contents of 33.9oz (1L)
    Spa Purge to spa water
    3. Run jets a minimum of 5 minutes
    ** If exessive foaming occurs, turn jets OFF
    4. Maintain water temperature and allow spa to circulate overnight with jets off
    5. Drain spa, rinse and then refill spa and reinstall filter elements. Proceed with
    normal spa maintenance
    Tips:
    For a more complete spa cleaning, soak cartridge filter elements overnight in the
    only all natural filter cleaner: Filter Perfect
    To prevent future build up of organics, use Natural Chemistry�s Spa Perfect weekly
    Features & Benefits:
    Attacks the root cause of maintenance problems caused by organic contamination
    Highly concentrated formula
    Restores spa plumbing to original condition
    Removes organic waste deposits from all spa plumbing

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

The best way I know is to hyper chlorinate for several hours and then dump the water. Refill, dump again after running a couple minute and refill. Put in new filter elements and balance following the instructions found on either Trouble Free Pools or Pool and Spa Forum (better for spas I've found but TFP is still excelent).

Scott

• coastal_concepts
    12 years ago

Specifically you need to use a line flush product to remove any potential bio-film in the plumbing lines...of which there is likely plenty. The best commercial line flush product I have used is made by Aqua Finesse however the Spa Guard brand swirl away pipe flush is also good.

Foaming is an indication of garbage/oils in the water. Be sure to take the filters out of the tub as they do not need to be in while flushing your lines and can deposit detergents and oils in the water which will promote the foaming. Dump the water and refill and THEN you can flush the pipes again which maintaining 10ppm of sanitizer overnight. This will help to get the tub really clean and minimize foaming during the cleaning process.

Also consider reading the Spa School link below and learning about proper hot tub maintenance

Here is a link that might be useful: Spa School

• obrionusa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

When all else fails read the instructions :~)